TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Check Engine (Or Idiot Light as my Wife calls is) is lit up in my dash, upoon checking the codes I find out that the Ait Intake Temp. Sensor is bad & so is my MAF sensor. Since I have to replace the MAF sensor as w ehole unit & not just the sensor. Would now be a good time to upgrade from the stock 50mm MAF to the 56mm I keep hearing about? I havent installed a CAI yet, but it is planned to happen within the next couple of weeks.

So, keep the stock 50mm with the stock air intake or go ahead & upgrade to a 56mm for future purposes? :rolleyes:

The only this im wondering about is, If i do step up to the 56mm MAF & run teh car with the stock air intake system, will it make the car run funny or not hurt a thing?
:confused:

::Edit::

Another thing, what about a new Thermostat... 180 or a 160? Comments, suggestions?

·
5,650 Posts
Don't bother with an upgraded MAF. It won't do your engine any good, and you'll need a tune for the car to run correctly. With a tune, a colder thermostat, some premium fuel and altered timing you might be able to get a couple more ponies out of it but don't set the bar high. It's a highly anemic engine you are working with. Unless you plan on getting a tune, don't bother changing anything else.

·
Administrator
8,213 Posts
My daughter's 93 was upgraded to a 70mm MAF without any problems, runs pretty good too! (shameless plug Jon!) The 94 and up 3.8 cars came with a 70mm MAF anyway. Maybe you can find a used one. You might want to clean the MAF first and see what you get.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts