TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question. Have a '93 Thunderbird that i've been contemplating switching the rims out on. I love the look of the factory fan blade rim, but would love it if the rim was just a little bigger. The '93 Cobras ran the same wheel design, but supersized (17x7.5).

My question(s) is, since they're four bolt, has anyone ever done a hub conversion to put them on the car? Is it even possible? If so, do the rims even fit on the car ( i don't want to do anything crazy to make this happen)?

Thanks! -Steve

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I never even thought of doing it that way. Thanks for posting that thread. The pictures answered my other question too; would i really like the bigger rim. Those look great!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I found a set of those one time at a swap meet, thought about filling and redrilling but didn't wanna go through the work lol. They look kick a$$ on the birds tho!

·
Registered
917 Posts
IMHO, the wheels are not wide enough to negate all the work needed to go into filling/redrilling the lug holes... that is unless you widen them :) remember our cars are beasts and they can handle very well with a proper sized wheel tire combo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMHO, the wheels are not wide enough to negate all the work needed to go into filling/redrilling the lug holes... that is unless you widen them :) remember our cars are beasts and they can handle very well with a proper sized wheel tire combo.
This is very true. It would never work well on a car with power. For me though, it's just about suttle cosmetics. This 'Bird is staying completely stock, minus the possible wheel change. And even then, the only reason i'm considering it is because i can get the bigger wheel in the exact same design as what came stock on it.

On the bright side the Cobra wheel is about an inch wider than the stock 15's i believe , so hopefully i'll get the benefit of a little improvement in the handling!

·
Registered
32 Posts
93 Cobra Wheels

IF YOU PLAN TO USE THE WHEELS: tire size p255/50r17 bfg kdws
27.1" tall 7-9" rim width span 32psi front 28psi rear - this tire was built for
the impala s/s and it hooks! once the wheels have been filled and drilled have
them press the conical steel lug inserts and then they will be horsepower ready!
any questions e-mail me - TIRE BARON

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I would love to run these wheels and thank you tire baron for the suggestions. THe appeal of sleeper status is too cool.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I dont get it...Why bother with all that cobbling when you can just buy a 5-4.50 replica in that cast? Amazes me what ppl will run.

Brad

·
Registered
987 Posts
Link below...But he dont make them in 5-4.50 currently for some reason. They used to, so excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth real quick.;)

Regardless I am far from impressed with the filling and drilling of that wheel project. For off road use OK...For leasure and highway use, simply no.

http://wheelreplicas.com/93Cobrawheels.html

I tried to get enough ppl together to build this wheel but not enough interest.

Brad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Brad. Agree on the "filling and drilling", but if that's what it takes it look slike that'll be the direction i go. Bummer he doesn't make it in a 5-4.50. However, you can count me in as one of the people interested in building this wheel.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,627 Posts
Link below...But he dont make them in 5-4.50 currently for some reason. They used to, so excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth real quick.;)

Regardless I am far from impressed with the filling and drilling of that wheel project. For off road use OK...For leasure and highway use, simply no.

http://wheelreplicas.com/93Cobrawheels.html

I tried to get enough ppl together to build this wheel but not enough interest.

Brad
It's asinine to not make that wheel with the 5 bolt mustang pattern. What was the point of even replicating them?

"Oh good I can replace my factory set of wheels on my 93 cobra with an identical aftermarket set of wheels on my 93 cobra":rolleyes:

If a 17x9" wide silver version that wheel was around with the 5 lug mustang pattern I'd be all over them.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
It's asinine to not make that wheel with the 5 bolt mustang pattern. What was the point of even replicating them?

"Oh good I can replace my factory set of wheels on my 93 cobra with an identical aftermarket set of wheels on my 93 cobra":rolleyes:

If a 17x9" wide silver version that wheel was around with the 5 lug mustang pattern I'd be all over them.
This is my point of view. And yeah if they came in 17X8.5 even I would love that even being offered. Most fox owners wouldn't reach for this wheel if they want to buy aftermarket rims. The sn95 hubs are the best pattern to build in if you want more universal and more sales.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

"Oh good I can replace my factory set of wheels on my 93 cobra with an identical aftermarket set of wheels on my 93 cobra":rolleyes:...
Because there are a million other fox body cars out there that have the four lug pattern whose owners might be interested in 93 Cobra wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is my point of view. And yeah if they came in 17X8.5 even I would love that even being offered. Most fox owners wouldn't reach for this wheel if they want to buy aftermarket rims. The sn95 hubs are the best pattern to build in if you want more universal and more sales.
Which means if any of us want them in the meantime, we're filling and drilling...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts