TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my interior lights/ Headlights/ Radio, everything is working fine, i just had my battery tested, its fine. When i go to start the car, alls i get is a fast repetitive Clicking noise, Can anyone help me out please?

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 3.8 V6

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i dont see what the alternator has to do with it unless its killing the battery overnight. are you positive the battery is good? if it is, my guess would be to take a look at the starter soleniod and see it you can turn the car over that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i took the battery to O'Rielys, they hooked it up to the machine, everything is perfect and its charged. Im sorry im a complete newb when it comes to cars, would it be better for me just to TOW it to a mechanic, i just dropped a brand new engine in it about a year ago. Everything has been running fine, now all the sudden overnight it wont start. So where is the starter soleniod so i can at least try that.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
follow the wires up from the alternator, should be on the passenger side. its alittle black box. take a screwdriver and short the two posts (starter wire, and alternator wire) and see if it turns over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot find the starter seleniod for the life of me, can someone post a pic of what it looks like ? Or perhaps a detail explanation of where it is?

Yes... Major Newb.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
umm...that happens to my car about once a month, except its because of really nasty battery cables, pull the connectors off the battery, clean em up nice and good, re-connect battery and car fires right up

·
Registered
664 Posts
Either your Battery is dead from alternator not working, wires being correded off the starter or from the alternator somewhere, the wires connecting to the poles of the battery are corrected need to be cleaned and reattached, or you left a interior light on that you didn't notice

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
im assuming that if you took the battery out then you already checked for obvious things like corrosion. so im sticking with the soleniod, or maybe a toasted fuseable link. like i said earlier, follow wire from the starter, or alternator and you'll run into the soleniod. put a screwdriver between the two posts and see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts