TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My step son recently purchased a 1993 Cougar 3.8

Gas gauge does not read, at all.

It’s stalled a bunch of times on him, typically within 10-15 minutes of first starting, upon acceleration of course. It starts fine, revs fine when not in gear. It runs fine when hot (only after 10 min or so). It doesn’t throw any codes.

We are trying to figure out what to go after. After it dies, it has difficulty starting again, but eventually does immediately (weak start though), or it has to sit for a bit before it wants to start again.

I am thinking fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, MAF?

This is our first Cougar, just looking for a little advice.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
My Cougar did something similar. Mine had a weak start/rough idle when it was first started until it warmed up for 8-10 minutes....it did stall several times. I replaced the fuel pump & fuel filter last week & it hasn't done it since. I also re-checked the spark plugs & plug wires to see if I had a faulty plug (which I didn't).

That's what worked for me.....hopefully it will solve his problems as well. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I don't have the car in front of me at the moment (he is on his way over).

I have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump on a 93 correct? I am guessing it's like my old 91 5.0 Mustang, two metal straps over a plastic tank cover, drop teh whole assembly to get to pump?

Jeff

·
It is nice
885 Posts
jhilb said:
Thanks guys. I don't have the car in front of me at the moment (he is on his way over).

I have to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump on a 93 correct? I am guessing it's like my old 91 5.0 Mustang, two metal straps over a plastic tank cover, drop teh whole assembly to get to pump?

Jeff
I'm pretty sure you need to remove the exhaust also, but why not check fuel pressure before dropping the tank???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do i do that? I have a general idea, but unsure if there is an easy hookup for pressure or not.

What should my pressure read?

Thanks,
jeff

·
It is nice
885 Posts
I'm not really sure the exact pressure and procedure but there is a easy hookup for it and takes no more than 5 mins. the fuel pressure gauge is not that expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts