TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'93 Mark VIII drive shaft

Is it a direct bolt on? Are the yokes and splines the same? Any pictures of the Mark shaft vs the bird shaft?

B

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Well...Same chassis as a Mark 8,same transmission,same differential,same trans crossmember,same front K-member,same engine mounts....any guesses at to whether is is or not? :)
JL

·
Registered
987 Posts
Uhhh, uhhhhh.... Same? Did I win, did I win????? Come on give me my prize...

Sam

Now I am probably gonna get the same answer, but is it a direct bolt on to a 3.8 LX???

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just because they are the same platform doesn't mean all dimensions are the same. Through searching this board and markvii.org, i have seen several comments regarding the mark drive shaft being longer. My plan is to get a one piece aluminum markviii drive shaft, have new joints installed, and get it speed balanced. Before i commit my $, I want to find out if i have to shorten or modify it in any way. Do I? JL, what drive shaft do you use?

B

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
What kind of cost are you looking at to use a Mark VIII shaft? If it costs you $100 for it and then you add the u joints and have it balanced, won't that cost you almost as much as a new Metal Matrix shaft?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had all that done and 150 into it. MM shafts rocket to the 450 price range. Definitely a cheaper alternative.

MaddMartigan said:
What kind of cost are you looking at to use a Mark VIII shaft? If it costs you $100 for it and then you add the u joints and have it balanced, won't that cost you almost as much as a new Metal Matrix shaft?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Ok. I looked into this before and there seemed to be a lot of debate about the Mark VIII shaft not really giving you what you really wanted and the that went into it seemed to be prohibitive with that in mind.

I guess I will have to revisit this when I get back to that issue on my car.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i believe the only advantage to having an aluminum shaft opposed to a MMC shaft is price. the aluminum is lighter than the stock one and therefore will not vibrate or reach critical speed as early (as long as it's properly balanced). but some have swapped in aluminum shafts and found that they then had a vibration at points where the stock did not.
so...aluminum is much better than stock, while MMC is your best bet. but yes they're pricey.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
ThunderB said:
Just because they are the same platform doesn't mean all dimensions are the same. Through searching this board and markvii.org, i have seen several comments regarding the mark drive shaft being longer. My plan is to get a one piece aluminum markviii drive shaft, have new joints installed, and get it speed balanced. Before i commit my $, I want to find out if i have to shorten or modify it in any way. Do I? JL, what drive shaft do you use?

B
I use a Dynotech,and it was more than worth the $480 that is costs.
The length of the Mark8 shaft and the Tbird shaft are the same.
At best you'll just move the speed that the vibration occurs at with the OE shaft a slight bit higher-even by balancing the Mark8 shaft. Before you have somebody promise that they can "speed balance" the shaft...ask them how many rpms they balance the shaft to....
JL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts