TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, if bolt on parts are worth the money/horsepower ratio. I was told from the guy I got the car from, that if I was to install a 5% pulley and something to do with a licoln mass air flow sensor, that the car would pick up 80hp. Is there truth to any of this. And also, is there any read ups about putting a 385 series 460 into these cars.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Well, MN12s do accept 460s with some modifications but you do have an SC which is a relatively rare car so I wouldnt butcher it...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Since your a new member and a first time poster, i'd suggest you do some reading on the forums here before you ask a question like this that's been answered 1000 times already.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Since your a new member and a first time poster, i'd suggest you do some reading on the forums here before you ask a question like this that's been answered 1000 times already.
Agreed.

Just Dont Ruin your SC!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
With supporting injectors and IC upgrade, and tune then yes

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I was wondering, if bolt on parts are worth the money/horsepower ratio. I was told from the guy I got the car from, that if I was to install a 5% pulley and something to do with a licoln mass air flow sensor, that the car would pick up 80hp. Is there truth to any of this. And also, is there any read ups about putting a 385 series 460 into these cars.
Only way your gonna get 80 hp from those mods is to include a 60 hp shot of nitrous.

David

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Only way your gonna get 80 hp from those mods is to include a 60 hp shot of nitrous.

David
ROFL...more like 75 shot!

Seriously, those underdrive pulley kits only help because of the water pump slowing down. The alternator spins almost 20,000rpm when you're winding your motor out to 5000, so I'm sure slowing it down to 18,000 isn't helping much! Now, the crank pulley makes a difference cause you're slowing down your power steering pulley, too.

I'm going to add a fluid damper harmonic balancer to mine cause I think you're better served with one of those - they're better for the engine and have been proven (I know - so have u/d pullies) on performance vehicles for years. March has an #1158 SFI certified fluid damper that has an underdrive pulley attached for ~$120.

My plan is the 1158, a bigger w/p pulley from a police CVI, a bigger p/s pulley from 3.8, and a Cobra water pump (less drag and higher output). I KNOW that setup is gonna outdo any out-of-the-box u/d pulley kit and I'm guessing maybe 20-25hp tops realistically.

The only problem I see is maybe the alternator too low at idle (it barely keeps up now). The stock alternator pulley is 2.6inches and when idling at 700rpm, it's spinning like 1820rpm (no wonder i notice the lights dimming!). If I put the u/d crank pulley / damper on it's gonna slow down to 1625rpm (YIKES). I can get a 2" pulley for the alternator which will bring it to 2100rpm, better than stock (whoohoo, we're charging now baby)!

As to the 80hp you were quoted, I'd be willing to bet if you ran electric pumps running your p/s fluid & your water, installed a fluid harmonic balancer, and just had the crank running the alternator - you might hit half that figure downhill with a tailwind!!! Are you sure he didn't say the MAF is 80mm?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think he was talking about a 5% overdrive pulley for the super charger. I know MM&FF did a writeup on changing pulley sizes and exhaust but I can't remember what they ended up getting out of the bird.

Here, dug it up for you. Ignore the k&n thing, they never tested a CLEAN standard filter.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0707_1990_thunderbird_super_coupe/index.html

Now, this article has been referenced here and SCCOA several times. This is a freebee.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I think he was talking about a 5% overdrive pulley for the super charger. I know MM&FF did a writeup on changing pulley sizes and exhaust but I can't remember what they ended up getting out of the bird.

Here, dug it up for you. Ignore the k&n thing, they never tested a CLEAN standard filter.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0707_1990_thunderbird_super_coupe/index.html

Now, this article has been referenced here and SCCOA several times. This is a freebee.
Oh.....I don't know about boost at all, but there is a lot of info here on different size pulleys and equivent boost increases! Search button too!
BTW, according to that link, the 5% sc o/d pulley added about 15hp and 40tq with K&N filter if I'm reading that right....:zdunno:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The issue with increasing the OD is increased intake temps. Now 5% is probably safe with a stock IC and stock blower. But anything you put in the the motor needs to get out and probably the single best SC mod is exhaust.
If you OD it go with the Jackshaft to help with belt slippage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I was talking about the O.D pulley, and that is my fault for not being clear. Thanks for the read.

The issue with increasing the OD is increased intake temps. Now 5% is probably safe with a stock IC and stock blower. But anything you put in the the motor needs to get out and probably the single best SC mod is exhaust.
If you OD it go with the Jackshaft to help with belt slippage.
I think after reading that article, changing the exhaust is going to be the very first thing I do. In the end, putting out those power numbers is a goal I have set for myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts