TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked for this elsewhere and have not come up with anything yet. I installed a 93 Mark tranny into my 96, and it works great with one problem: Once the car reaches 85mph, it acts as if it has hit the speed limiter (which has been removed via chip). When the tranny was first installed, it had the original speedo gear, and we switched it to the 23 tooth last night (car has 4.10 gears). The problem remains with the vehicles actual speed and not indicated speed. After it has this problem, the OD light will flash until the car is shut off and restarted, and after that the light will not return until the problem is repeated. The 93 tranny worked great until it was installed in this car.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I got thinking about that and I'm not sure it is your problem. I suspect a faulty OSS or poor connection. The tcc does need to be replaced or pcm damage could result.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I believe all markVIII's came equipped with the 4r70w, we pulled a 93 the other day at work and it had the 4r70 gearset. 94 thunderbirds were 4r70w equipped, the crown vic's got the 4r70w last.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong (which i probably am) but i thought that the 4r70w had computers and the AODE's didn't. I purchased a 93' MKVIII engine and tranny, pulled entire wiring harness to use to install into my 86' T-Bird, but there was no other computer other than the ECM. Does that 1 computer control both then?? I've been seriously debating on getting rid of the auto tranny and switching over to a 5spd. The car was originally manual anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Bakstoy said:
Correct me if i'm wrong (which i probably am) but i thought that the 4r70w had computers and the AODE's didn't. I purchased a 93' MKVIII engine and tranny, pulled entire wiring harness to use to install into my 86' T-Bird, but there was no other computer other than the ECM. Does that 1 computer control both then?? I've been seriously debating on getting rid of the auto tranny and switching over to a 5spd. The car was originally manual anyway.
AODE's are computer controlled. AOD's are not. The 4R70W is an AODE with a wide ratio gearset.
On ford vehicles the engine computer controls the transmission as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ok dirtydog, then i take it that the "E" stands for the overdrive cutout? or that it stands for electronic. I know these questions seem stupid but i'm not that familiar with newer autotrans. Some other info on my car is that I'm changing the rear gears to 4:30, I rebuilt the trak loc diff but haven't finished installing the gears. I plan on open tracking the car and also daily driving it. I haven't been able to find out wether or not i'll be able to use the autotrans for the racing part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts