TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that the later model 3.8 manifolds flow better than the earlier style. is this true, and if so, is it worth it to change them? drastic difference, or just a lot of work for nothing?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
you need a 96-97 Ypipe also. I personally would just port your stock ones and they should be close if not as good as the 96-97 headers.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I agree just port the stock ones. It's not really worth it on a stock motor IMO. But I do things all out so maybe it's just me. For example, when I got 96-97 shorty headers I didn't want to get a used y-pipe so I got all new 2.25" true duals lol.
-Thomas

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just for ****s and giggles, how much is a reasonable price to pay for that?

·
8,978 Posts
93 lx said:
just for ****s and giggles, how much is a reasonable price to pay for that?
true duals? i payed 250 for all piping and installation of my choice mufflers, cats, and tips.
-Thomas

·
Registered
178 Posts
250? thats half of what i was quoted for a flow 40 and 2,3" tips.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You can port that cast shiit all you want. There is no freakin way it will even come close to a tube steel style manifold like the 96-97.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks flex. i was talking price on porting, but if its not really worth it.... i have the exhaust setup i want(money provided).

·
8,978 Posts
My XR7 2004 said:
250? thats half of what i was quoted for a flow 40 and 2,3" tips.
That's without the price of mufflers, tips, and cats. Just piping and installation of everythnig. The total cost for everything including my 97 shorties was 600 bucks.
-Thomas

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Thomas. I was wondering about that. How loud is yours by the way? I've been meaning to ask you for a while.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can put up some pics as a comparison if there is any doubt. the cast manifolds are 4 ~4" long down turns with numerous flow obstructions running into 1 long run to the collector which is tiny. There is no way to port that to any consequence, I tried for laughs.

93 LX,
You can cut costs by maxing out 1 single exhaust setup if you never plan on going too radical. To improve flow, get rid of the factory cats and replace them with 2 2.5" down tubes running into 2 new aftermarket high flows. This will give the exhaust system a little extra capacity and a smoother flow path out of the motor. Retain the stock resonator for back pressure and then go to a larger tailpipe. Finish it off with your choice of muffler.

My brother bought a cat back Flowmaster setup from 21st Century Exhaust in Florida for $300 US last year. A good set of cats should run about $50-100 bucks new and then whatever you can get manifolds and install for.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i have a few sets of supercoupe manifolds they are ported and are good to about 300 hp after that even the small 96-97 header dont cut it anyway so port your stockers or get some supercoupe manifolds and port them they flow as good and headers when ported. but remember hte stock exh is bad ,

most guys run a 2" primary into a single 3" going back thru tank area then back to 2" duals

hey anyone interested i have a supercoupe exh system layn around manifolds and rear portion duals for a 89 sc

·
8,978 Posts
the sc manifolds are the same style as the pre 96's.

2" primaries? I got mine to 2.25" :D

I think this summer I'll be retrofitting some MAC longtubes to my car. Should be fun. And instead of having headers that "allow upto 300hp".. long tubes actualy give you hp gains.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
There is NO WAY that a ported cast manifold can equal the flow of the tube steel style. RGR of Green Machine has posted that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts