TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled out the 1-2 accumulater and found no blue top spring. The bottom purple spring was there but in 4 pecies. Did they not use a upper spring in these?
Its a 94 tbird 3.8 thanks. I do have a new purple spring I found from a past J mod i did and didnt use it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
Some applications didn't use an upper spring. I had no 1-2 upper in the my Cougar and the bottom spring was also broken when I did the J-mod.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Some applications didn't use an upper spring. I had no 1-2 upper in the my Cougar and the bottom spring was also broken when I did the J-mod.
When you say upper and lower springs, which is which?

I thought they ALWAYS had an upper spring (which would be the spring that comes out AFTER you take the accumulator piston out).

But some applications didn't have a lower spring (the first to come out BEFORE you get the accumulator piston out).

The stiffer that upper spring is, the harder the 1-2 shift. If you want to firm up the 1-2 shift, I would HIGHLY recommend you put an upper spring (the brown spring is the stiffest and offers firmest shift).

The lower spring only softens the shift. Usually the lower spring gets broken and the shift is very hard (when an upper spring exists).

DD, please correct me if I'm giving out false info, but I think that's how it works (and has for me anyways).

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
I was stumped initially when I found that I didn't have an upper (after the accumulator) spring, so I did some searching. I found a post of Alan's saying that some applications didn't utilize one. I don't think any stock configurations didn't use a lower spring (the one some people omit in the J-mod), but I can't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I was stumped initially when I found that I didn't have an upper (after the accumulator) spring, so I did some searching. I found a post of Alan's saying that some applications didn't utilize one. I don't think any stock configurations didn't use a lower spring (the one some people omit in the J-mod), but I can't say for sure.
Maybe v6 only (no upper spring)?

Maybe the do all have lower springs from factory, I have no idea.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The upper or top spring is the one that come out when you remove the accumulator. I have never removed one that did not have the upper spring, usally blue. This is just a old v6 car that my daughter drives to and from school so a soft shift is what im looking for. I must admit that I have never removed a 1-2 accumulator from a na V6. Only SC,s and v8 birds. I guess the question of the day is should I install a new spring on the top and bottom??

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
I installed the white upper and pink lower springs and drilled hole #2 to .081". The Cougar is my winter car so I wanted a nice, soft 1-2.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The upper or top spring is the one that come out when you remove the accumulator. I have never removed one that did not have the upper spring, usally blue. This is just a old v6 car that my daughter drives to and from school so a soft shift is what im looking for. I must admit that I have never removed a 1-2 accumulator from a na V6. Only SC,s and v8 birds. I guess the question of the day is should I install a new spring on the top and bottom??
How hard do you want the shift? I put the Blue spring on top and the Purple bottom one back in because it's my girlfriend's car and she didn't want super hard shifts.

When I j-mod my Mark VIII, I will put a stiffer top spring in (probably the Light Green spring or Brown spring) and leave the bottom one out.

For Reference:

1-2 Bottom Springs:

F7AZ-7F284-BA 1992 1994 Violet
F3LY-7F284-A 1995 1997 Purple
F4UZ-7F284-A 1998 2000 Pink
1L3Z-7F284-AA 2001 2005 Dark Blue
1L3Z-7F284-BA 2001 2005 Yellow

1-2 Upper Springs:

1992 1993 Top spring not installed in production (Hey, look at that! lol)
F7AZ-7F284-CA 1994 1994 Dark Blue
F7AZ-7F284-AA 1995 1997 White
Supercedes: F4UZ-7F284-B
F75Z-7F284-AA 1998 2000 Light Blue
Supercedes: F3LY-7F284-B
1W7Z-7F284-AA 2001 2005 Light Green
F75Z-7F284-BA Brown Top spring used in econoline vans, explorers, mountaineers, and f-150 pickup trucks. Very stiff. Never factory installed in production cars.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I too think 3.8 came w/NO Top Spring & IIRC D/Dog often went back w/NO Springs Top or Bottom in the 3.8's - Essentially that's what you were running anyway so if you were happy with 1-2 I'd darn sure try it - For SURE Buffing the bore & a New Style Piston w/new Seals fm Robert would be a good idea after running w/ broke Spring & dinged up Bore.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was my plan. I did buff out the bore and did have a ridge where the broke spring nicked it up. I will be useing the molded rubber accumulater as well.
Thanks for the offer on the springs but I have a transmission wholesale shop next town over who sells to me dirt cheap. It shifted late from the 1-2 even at low rpm so Im not to sure what to do. I have a new lower spring to put it back to stock. This car is tired and who knows how long she will last but I just wanted it to shift smooth and save the trans from failure. If I get 2 more years out of her I will be happy. Thanks again for all the replies

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its all fixed now and looking back I now admit I was looking for that top spring thinking it got away from me and rolled under something in the garage but It was never there. My trans shop closed down:rolleyes: so I had to go to the Ford dealer so $19.00 later its all good now and shifts perfect and smooth. The trans should outlast the car. Now to get rid the smell of Mercon V. Happy New Year

1 - 13 of 13 Posts