TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice. I have a 94 4.6 Cougar ,stock except for a Trans-Go shift kit, K&N, and Zex dry kit. The nitrous was working fine. My quarter mile time went from 16.3 to 14.7. I let my friend drive it because he wanted see what the nitrous was like. I am not sure why but when I got the car back I hit the nitrous, it pulled really hard like almost to hard for 75 and I heard some really bad detonation. I let of the gas and the car stalled out and would not restart. By the sound of the detonation I am pretty sure there is internal damage. I am very limited on funds what are my options. I am not very happy with the performance of the 94 4.6 I need more than 205HP . I am considering a new Explorer engine, 99up gt ,96-98 bird or gt engine, 302,351 or any other suggestions or possibly rebuild current motor.Also what is likely broken piston,rings,rods,or head damage.If it is head damage I could do PI heads.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
weswing04 said:
That sucks man..

I'd get a 01 ( i think ) explorer motor. its all aluminum PI motor.. would be nice :)

joseph

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
that sux man sorry to hear about your engine. if you want to go with the explorer/mountaineer engine you'll want the 02 aluminum pi engine. check out www.greenleafauto.com. they can be found on there for aroun $1000.

Frank

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for your loss......... I would go w/ a 302/351 engine setup. Many options available and sometimes cheaper, well thats my openion anyways. The Explorer setup is also very nice.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Your options are mostly limited by your budget. I agree the 02 explorer/mountaineer engine is probably the best swap in with the least work... I haven't done that particular swap, but I'm told it's the easiest one for the 94/95s. Going to a 302/351 will be a lot of wiring work, plus with emissions testing looming it might be a problem also.
Are you in the Hanover just south of Wilkes-barre? Check your email. :)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If money is a concern, and you can't afford an '02 Explorer, then the only other option would be a used 96-98 motor, and there's really no performance gain.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Go with the 02 explorer if you can afford it, if not try looking for wrecked crown vics. you can get them drit cheap, pull the motor and part it out and make some of it back.
And if your in the Hanover near gettysburg let me know if you need help.And remember that your not the only Pa boy to smoke your motor on the juice lately.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i know this has been talked before, but where can i find a thread link on the swap of the 02 x motor...what has to be changed to make it work...thanks...

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
sorry to barge in but whats the big deal with these explorer engines? cant u just take the 260hp gt engines?
yea but usually u can get an explorer engine for a few hundred dollars cheaper becasue people dont realizes its basically the same as the gt engine.

Frank

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Also if you have a 94 you don't have to buy some extra parts like a bird EGR tube because the explorer one fits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info on motor swaps. I just found out that the warranty company has found a motor they want to install. The motor is out of a 98 Crown Vic with 40,000 miles supposedly. I cant really argue with free. The shop says the warranty company needs to see the car when it is complete and it needs to look stock.I am also trying to get headers and or a torque converter installed while they are replacing the motor. Any recommendations on headers and converters with emphasis on bang for the buck?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts