TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, Massachusetts does require the air pump, but I took a list at your pinout list and it looks like pin 31 controls the air pump and it appears to be supported by the 94/94 computer.

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
HarryS said:
Yes, Massachusetts does require the air pump, but I took a list at your pinout list and it looks like pin 31 controls the air pump and it appears to be supported by the 94/94 computer.
Cool. Sounds like it's worth investigating. You will want the T4M0 or J4J1 (Cobra) catch code to start.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
MaddMartigan said:
Cool. Sounds like it's worth investigating. You will want the T4M0 or J4J1 (Cobra) catch code to start.
I've got a T4M0 for sale. PM me for more info.

David

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If you don't need datalogging try http://moates.net/ . EEC Editor and Tunerpro support the t4mo [cbaza .def]. I just spent $175 shipped for everything to burn a chip. Future chips will be $55. Plus I can use the BURN1 hardware to burn gm proms. The learning curve is about the same as with a tweecer. Download the software and see if you can figure it out.

So far only the smog stuff eliminated, manifold size, throttle body airflow, timing [93 octane], rpm and speed limiters have been altered. By flipping a switch I can go to a tune with stock timing for cheap gas. No check engine lights with the egr unplugged! Before, the egr was just sitting there with the vacuum and sensor hooked up- no place for it to bolt up on my intake.

Runs alot better part throttle. For some reason it takes alot less pedal to get up to speed and stay there. I noticed my stft @ idle went to -6. It was hovering around 0 before. More timing means less air and fuel to maintain idle? Could just be a different tank of gas though:rolleyes: Wide open is the same or maybe better???? Today I'm installing the freebie 24 lb injectors from a buddy's junked 460:D I'm going to try an almost stock j4j1 Cobra tune at first. I want all the bugs worked out before introducing a bigger change- 342 with bigger cam.

Now I'm looking to buy a chip emulator, a Ford adapter for it and a laptop. With the emu I could make real time changes or even enter a whole new bin with the engine running. That option will be $215 + whatever a laptop costs. The emulator would also work on gm products and hondas with a proper adapter. It's easy enough removing the chip and taking it inside to burn it, but the j3 port will wear out eventually:(

With this approach, once a final tune is reached I can just leave the chip in place and forget it.

originally posted by MaddMartigan
However, if you aren't up to tuning this yourself, you might be better off going this route and just having Lonnie Doll create a program for you and sending you the chip.
UPDATE... OMG my car is way faster and smoother. I put those 24lb'rs in and copied all the j4j1 tables and scalars to my t4mo bin. For some reason the j4j1 bin gave me a rom checksum error code, so I didn't use it. Going with a fox style intake was a godsend today in the hot shop. I had that sucker purring within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a question about the ccrm on a '94/95 Mustang. My diagram shows the 2 relays and a solid state control that runs them.

Does the computer shut off the low speed relay when high speed kicks in? Or is that a function of the solid state edf relay control?

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to run both speeds at the same time?

I'm assuming a 4.6 tbird would function the same way as the mustang, if anyone knows.

On a side note my '98 MarkVIII fan is drawing 50 amps. Draws 35 when out of the car. The thicker radiator seems too restrictive to airflow. Paid $107.00 delivered for a '94-'97 tbird fan. That sucker only draws 30 amps no matter what. The motor is much smaller with the same housing and blade. The actual blade adapter is different though. I might just use the 2 speed feature of the tbird fan.

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
icantdrive55 said:
I have a question about the ccrm on a '94/95 Mustang. My diagram shows the 2 relays and a solid state control that runs them.

Does the computer shut off the low speed relay when high speed kicks in? Or is that a function of the solid state edf relay control?

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to run both speeds at the same time?

I'm assuming a 4.6 tbird would function the same way as the mustang, if anyone knows.

On a side note my '98 MarkVIII fan is drawing 50 amps. Draws 35 when out of the car. The thicker radiator seems too restrictive to airflow. Paid $107.00 delivered for a '94-'97 tbird fan. That sucker only draws 30 amps no matter what. The motor is much smaller with the same housing and blade. The actual blade adapter is different though. I might just use the 2 speed feature of the tbird fan.
Honestly I couldn't tell you since I chose to go a different route and not have the ECM control my fan.

·
Registered
825 Posts
well looks like I'am in on this band wagon too I got the maf and eec in the car now and the tweecer should be here next week right after christmas. I feel right now and before I put the new eec in the car it has been running really rich and I feels at about 3200 rpms it surges more power. I was reading in mm&ff this month that cai with put the maf way off so I'am thinking thats whats going on with mine as of now and no emisions hooked up will do it too from what I read. but now when it warms up it just stalls and between shifts it hangs too long.

The junk yard told me that the v6 mafs are the same as v8 for mustangs is this true?
And another thing my eec has the catch code t4mo and yet someone wrote 94 305 5spd on it:confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
dwinthrup said:
The junk yard told me that the v6 mafs are the same as v8 for mustangs is this true?
I wouldn't trust them. They may swap physically but I doubt they are the same.

And another thing my eec has the catch code t4mo and yet someone wrote 94 305 5spd on it:confused:
That's what you want. The 94-95 Mustang automatics were AOD-E and we don't need that transmission control in our AOD cars. You want the 5 speed computer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
yeah them guys at the junk yard are dumb one was arguing with me about how none of the ford maf have a slip joint on both sides i told him that i unbolted mine from the air box and it had a slip on the other side too and he said i was wrong what ever. but i just put the sensor it self in my houseing i've got from a 94 bird they look the same.

·
Registered
825 Posts
i orderd my tweecer almost three weeks ago and still don't have it. so time will tell

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a question about the 94-95 Cobra ECM. What I'm wondering about is, since a 94-5 GT ecm works in a bird, would a 94-95 Cobra ecm work if I upgrade to 24lb injectors and the ford 70mm MAF? Also those are code J4J1 aren't they?

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
5.0 bird said:
I have a question about the 94-95 Cobra ECM. What I'm wondering about is, since a 94-5 GT ecm works in a bird, would a 94-95 Cobra ecm work if I upgrade to 24lb injectors and the ford 70mm MAF? Also those are code J4J1 aren't they?
If you upgrade to 24lb. injectors and put in the MAF from a 94-95 Mustang Cobra then it should work fine. Otherwise you will need to get it tuned to manage the different MAF.

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
5.0 bird said:
Are you saying that the Cobra uses a different MAF than a GT?

*If* (I say if because I haven't looked into it) the Cobra came with 24lb. injectors then the MAF will have a different transfer function. In theory, it may have had the same housing size and possibly even the same sensor but the ECM was most likely set up to use it differently. As Lonnie has said before, if you are going to change MAFs between model years/models, count on needing a tune to make it work properly.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The '92 Crown Vic uses the exact same maf as a '94/'95 Mustang GT and Cobra. Might be an easier find and possibly cheaper if buying used. Mine was 20 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
icantdrive55 said:
The '92 Crown Vic uses the exact same maf as a '94/'95 Mustang GT and Cobra. Might be an easier find and possibly cheaper if buying used. Mine was 20 bucks.
Again, the connector may be the same and the housing may be the same but I wouldn't count on the transfer function in the CV ECM matching the one in the Mustang ECM. It may be fairly close but it's going to suck when you start trying to tune the car and you have to completely tune your baseline transfer function because it's not correct and starts sliding exponentially out f tune for every change you make.

But, jump right in there. Trial and error is always inexpensive and safe as well as loads of fun.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ok, let me word that differently. If you buy a reman at O'Reilly or Advance or Ford those 3 applications have the same part #.

Here is the Ford # stamped on the sensor F2Vf12B579A1A . That is the number that says how the sensor is calibrated. Just make sure you have that # on it and you have a '94/'95 Mustang mass air sensor.

Mitchell shows the '92 CV having the F2Vf12B579A1A and Alldata shows the '92 as having part # F07Z12B579AARM. Both show the '93/'94 CV having the same sensor as a '94/'95 Mustang gt or cobra.

Mine came from a '92 CV and is stamped F2Vf12B579A1A.

From what I gather some early '92 CV's had an aod and the F0 sensor. With an aod-E the F2 sensor was used.

The sensor is exactly the same but of course the computer is different:rolleyes:

I double checked that part# on my car and with Mitchell at work. That number Alldata [which I have at home] gave is either a typo or wrong. The proper# is f2vf-12b579-a1a :eek: :eek: :eek: :(

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
icantdrive55 said:
Ok, let me word that differently. If you buy a reman at O'Reilly or Advance or Ford those 3 applications have the same part #.

Here is the Ford # stamped on the sensor F2VZ12B579AARM . That is the number that says how the sensor is calibrated. Just make sure you have that # on it and you have a '94/'95 Mustang mass air sensor.

Mitchell shows the '92 CV having the F2VZ12B579AARM and Alldata shows the '92 as having part # F07Z12B579AARM. Both show the '93/'94 CV having the same sensor as a '94/'95 Mustang gt or cobra.

Mine came from a '92 CV and is stamped F2VZ12B579AARM.

From what I gather some early '92 CV's had an aod and the F0 sensor. With an aod-E the F2 sensor was used.

The sensor is exactly the same but of course the computer is different:rolleyes:

Ok, that sounds fine. The biggest question would really be whether or not the transfer function was the same between the two vehicles or at least very close.

The bottom line is whether or not it works. I would think that you would want everything in line perfectly before you started adding bolt on parts to give more performance. The added parts will theoretically increase efficiency which could skew the transfer function a good bit if it weren't right on.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The transfer function is totally different between the t4mo and j4j1. Different injectors, airflow ect.. with the same exact airflow meter.

Even though the meter will put out the same voltage at the same airflow they adjusted the transfer curve. Let's say I install a L-maf on my 302. The factory L-maf transfer could be adjusted to run better. It's just a shortcut to a better tune.

I noticed gains w.o.t. at first when falling for the 70mm housing swap with the stock tbird computer. Then the adaptive memory took over and screwed it all up. I don't know for sure but the transfer function for the '94 tbird might not have worked right without adjusting other variables.

Really the only reason to swap to a Mustang computer is to be able to tune it yourself with some of the free software and cheap hardware available. The free software doen't support the tbird computers.

61 - 80 of 161 Posts