TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What issues might I run into? I know I'll need the TV cable/throttle body setup from a donor non-electronic trans car, but will the ECU have a fit? Any issues with the speedo sensor?

I have complete '90 and '91 donor cars with good transmissions...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you swap an AOD for a 4R70W? I've driven a MN12 with both, and I prefer the 4R70W.
The 4R70W is toast, and the friend that owns it would like to have it back on the road without spending too much $.

Which ecus should be plug and play? Anything from another 89-95 3.8 non-sc tbird that has a distributor?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
correction, 91-93. 89-90 were MAP controlled.

You don't need a new computer though, the computer won't make the engine act funny without a 4r70w it'll just throw a check engine light, that's all.

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
Oh, however, you will need the transmission mount and driveshaft from the AOD car. As well as the shifter and shifter bezel, shift linkage, speedo gear, tv cable, throttle body. That should be it.
-Thomas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, however, you will need the transmission mount and driveshaft from the AOD car. As well as the shifter and shifter bezel, shift linkage, speedo gear, tv cable, throttle body. That should be it.
-Thomas
We were counting on the mount and driveshaft, as well as throttle body and tv cable. What is the issue with the shifter? We're ok with having the shift pattern be different from indicated if that's the only issue.

·
8,978 Posts
Well the shifter itself might work then. But the OD button will be useless. And the linkage might be different but Im not sure.
-Thomas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... it's in and runs fine. Did need to swap driveshaft and crossmember due to minor differences that I could have worked around.

Looking for a wiring diagram to find which pin goes from the EEC to the "OD OFF" light. It runs fine on the stock ECU so we're leaving it in place, but would like to not have the "OD OFF" light flashing as it's doing right now....

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Your OD light is flashing because your EEC cant find your Transmission.

Why bother looking for a pin, just take the light bulb out the dash since thats the easier thing to do.

Im surprised it even runs right - when I had an electronic failure in my Tranny the EEC went into limp mode and ran like a lawnmower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your OD light is flashing because your EEC cant find your Transmission.

Why bother looking for a pin, just take the light bulb out the dash since thats the easier thing to do.

Im surprised it even runs right - when I had an electronic failure in my Tranny the EEC went into limp mode and ran like a lawnmower.
I can get to any wire in the EEC harness in <2 minutes. Is the dash really easier than that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts