TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got a T-Bird (been looking around for a while) to play with, but it's a 3.8 auto.

My car is a '93, and I was wondering how much trouble and cost it would be to swap the tranny for a manual? How tied into the ecu is this, or could I just put a resister between pins and have the computer think it's shifting or something?

I got the car really cheap, and there's a list of things to do (like replace or rebuild the tranny) so I'm seeing where I can start and working from there.

*edit*
sorry about the title, I hit the wrong key.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Your AOD is not controlled by car's computer so changing to a Supercoupe M5R2 transmission should be no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
What other cars can I find the M5R2 in? A quick search showed the Thunderbird/Cougar SC as well as '88-97 Bronco and F150/250.
Will the truck tranny fit?

I also have a foot brake, and no hand brake. This will have to be fixed.

Right now the car shakes on anything other than a light launch, and sounds like I'm grinding the gears once in a while. I only just bought it today (yesterday actually) but it looks like I need to check my fluid levels or it could be the forward clutch seal rings.
I figured it was a good excuse to build my new toy up a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll grab some tools and the truck tomorrow.
How many Supercharged T-birds or Cougar XR7s get to a junk yard? I guess I'll find out.
No Mustang trannys will work? Their like candy down here darn it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aww, there's an if... and it's in caps.
I just got done reading that this swap would put the shifter in my AC controls, basically.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
yep, but from what ive seen a shifter extension box isnt that hard to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who's done this before?

I'll probably have to replace my rear brakes for one that uses a cable operated hand brake.

I'm going to get my AOD checked out, find a tranny to swap in, then stop by the shop one day and do the swap after I know the rest of the car is as good shape as I think it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts