TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad knows a guy who's got a 94 Z-28 with a 5.7 LT1, 6 speed (freshly rebuilt by a performance shop), t-tops, leather, new paint job (mirror quality), 175 hp wet kit, 17" chrome rims w/new Goodyear Eagles (not sure the size), 73K miles. Car's in immaculate shape. I know the current owner didn't beat it on much, but the previous owner may or may not have...he special ordered the car and had all the work done by a reputable shop in the Chicago area from what I was told.

$4500 is the lowest he'll go.

Should I pick it up? Seems like a steal. I just heard about it and want to go test drive it. What should I look for when test driving it? Are there common problems I should be looking for?

The specs says the car pushes 275 bhp @ 5200 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Not a bad price. They usually go for 4 to 5K for those years in good shape. Depends on how much it was abused by the previous owner. Not sure how much of a shot the LT1 can hold safely. You may want to check into that, as the head gaskets may be an issue. The only other things that comes to mind is if the T-Tops leak and the Opti-Spark system (has it been replaced). How much is the insurance on it for you? Another thing to keep in mind is that this car will require premium gas most likely.

Jay

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was worried about...the wet kit. I personally am not a fan of nos, but the guy said he's only used it a few times (middle aged guy, real trustworthy guy). Unfortunately, the guy who owned it before him (not sure if he put the wet kit on) was a cop, and all my cop buddies beat the holy piss out of their vehicles.

The t-tops are 100% water tight.

Insurance is about $90/mo.

The car has a viper alarm and some other goodies. I'm curious as to if it has any suspension mods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd look into it, it sounds like a good car to me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to add, true dual borla exhaust.

I'll look into it, but I've got 2 cars and am buying another one for an engine donor...That'd mean 4 cars lol

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Be careful of those cars. A friend of mine had a 6-speed '95 Z-28 and a '96 Firebird Formula. The cars are notorious for weak rear ends, water pumps (very hard to replace), and the DuraSpark system.
Also, the fit and finish is pretty shady, and the ride quality is terrible.
There is one good thing I remember from those cars - they're so damn fast.
I drove the 6-speed car and loved every minute of it. It was insanely fast.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
you also forget-- the LT1 6-speeds can get THIRTY (30) miles-to-the-gallon on the highway... :)

Fit and finish is ****, but if you want to go fast and look pretty good doin it, go for it.

my personal preference is the last version of the firebird and t/a (the one with pop-up quad headlights)... I didn't care for the last version of the camaro, but the 93-98s looked pretty good (the quad square headlights)

-Ghost

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey man, just go to CamaroZ28.com or LS1Tech and you'll get plenty of answers and have all kinds of information at your finger-tips, I forgot to mention that earlier.

The front-ends of the Camaro changed in '98, and they got the Aluminum block LS1 in '98 also.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. I checked it out, hell of a nice car, but I just can't afford it. I close on my house tomorrow (not only a mortgage and closing costs, but about $3000 in new appliances), bought a new car 1/31 ($25K), and would like to do more to the bird (specifically a new PI engine) rather than have another car that I only rarely drive lol.

Plus, the fiancee wouldn't let me get car #4 :-(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts