TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend found a 94 Thunderbird with 211K miles on it, no real idea on the maintenance, but she said the guy would take $350 for it just because he wants to get rid of it. It does burn oil, apparently no transmission or torque converter problems, and no apparent suspension problems other than possibly shocks. Since it burns oil, and has 211K miles on it, I'm thinking of rebuilding the motor. Anyone have a rough estimate on new gaskets, bearings, 96+ heads and cams (used preferably, no matter what they'll be better than the current ones), all that? Or maybe even just pointing me in the right direction to finding good parts for it (brands to get/avoid, etc.)? I've never been in a 4.6 before (I tore apart a 5.4 once though), so I'm completely lost as to what exactly this would take.

If just replacing the 94 motor with a newer PI motor would be cheaper (I don't care about what might be easier or harder, the labor I'm willing to put into it is infinite but the money is not) then I'll just put a PI motor in my Cougar and put my old 96 motor in hers. No way she's going to have PI if I don't.

Any help at all is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think replacing valve seals with the engine in place is do-able in these cars. While it might be something else causing the oil consumption, I would guess it is the valve seals if all else sounds good. Cheap but a lot of labor involved.

Depending on what else is possibly wrong or questionable with the engine, a 96+ top end or PI would be next.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
The 94/95 eat up valve guides, which then causes them to eat up valve seals and burn oil. The cheapest way to get the oil burning fixed would be to leave the bottom end alone and just get a set of 96+ NPI heads and bolt them down and go. As long as you have compression and no knocking, the rings and bearings in the bottom end should be good. Also, don't just replace the valve seals because the problem is the guides wear out, and that's what kills the seals. If you replace the seals without fixing the guides, you'll be right back where you started in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about just swapping a PI top end on mine and using my old parts to fix the problem, until I learned it had 200,000+ miles. I'm not just looking to fix the oil consumption, but to make it somewhat more reliable because this is going to be her car, and I don't want her driving something that could crap out catastrophically on her without warning.

96+ heads and intake are a definite, not only for the valve seal fix but also a better intake.
No on rebuilding the bottom end? I want this motor to last at least 50,000-60,000 more miles, and I wouldn't think it would be able to without being rebuilt... 211,000 miles seems like it's pushing it already, but I really don't know how long a 4.6 can last.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
Well to give you an idea, my 94 crown vic that I had, the odometer stopped working at 285K, and it still runs great. And the cam covers have never been off that motor! I also had a 94 cougar that I got rid of with around 240K, and the engine ran fine, just the body and interior were shot and it needed a trans. And both of those cars got the snot beat out of them every day. Many members on here have 4.6s with well over 200K, without any problems, and there are quite a few getting to 300K and higher. On the lincolnvscadillac, there is a guy with a daily-driven mark with over 400K on it. In stock form, they are pretty indestructible. If you were going to put PI heads on it, then I would say replace the bottom end because the added compression could crack a piston or something, but if you are looking for a mostly stock daily driver, then I really wouldn't worry about it. Only thing I would do is do a compression check to make sure the rings are still sealing well, and if you have good compression and it isn't knocking, leave it alone. Take the money you would have spent on rebuilding the motor and put it in the bank, and if a year or two, or five down the road the bottom end gives up the ghost, or you decide then that you want some more power out of it, then you can go get your money and just buy a complete explorer motor for it and be done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i got an oil change sticker on my cougars windshield its says the same mileage that the stuck odometer reads, the oil sticker is from october 2005, so the odometers probably been stuck since summer of 05. no telling how many miles are on this car and i treated it like **** until the trans went.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well to give you an idea, my 94 crown vic that I had, the odometer stopped working at 285K, and it still runs great. And the cam covers have never been off that motor! I also had a 94 cougar that I got rid of with around 240K, and the engine ran fine, just the body and interior were shot and it needed a trans. And both of those cars got the snot beat out of them every day. Many members on here have 4.6s with well over 200K, without any problems, and there are quite a few getting to 300K and higher. On the lincolnvscadillac, there is a guy with a daily-driven mark with over 400K on it. In stock form, they are pretty indestructible. If you were going to put PI heads on it, then I would say replace the bottom end because the added compression could crack a piston or something, but if you are looking for a mostly stock daily driver, then I really wouldn't worry about it.
That's good to know; I'm sure a few hundred in parts will be saved by leaving it alone.

Anything else I might need to worry about besides newer heads?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts