TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this awesome car at an auction, the previous owner stated it had a broke timing belt. (I know it does not have a belt) After removing the valve covers, The chains appear to be intact. When attempting to turn the crank with a breakover it binds up. Question is.. is it possible to reset the timing or do you think the motor is trashed. i know there is not enough clearance for pistons/ valves to clear each other. The car is in perfect condition other than the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
If it's hard to turn, Make sure that the car wheels are blocked, you have the emergency brake on, and then make sure the car is neutral. make sure that you are turning the crank shaft clockwise as you look at it from the front. Here is a quote from the manual " Because the engine is not a "freewheeling engine", if it has jumped time, there will be damage to the valves and/or pistons and will require removal of the cylinder heads". I don't know if this will help any, but may be of some use any way. Good Luck. I hope it's not severe.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
best option is swap a newer motor in and call it a day

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
get a motor from a 99+ GT, put an exhaust and some gears on it, do some trans work, b/c bet if the engine toasted the trans isnt going to be a whole lot better, call it a day have a nice low 14s hi 13 sec 5 seater 2 door luxury rocket

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
scott is that some kind of weird sex toy next the the 57?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car only cost me $350 so I figured I could part it out if I could not get it running. Such a shame parting her out though.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you can get a decent used motor for around 700-900

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I have set a small budget for repairing this car. I bought it as a project so it is not a driver. As I stated earlier, when I turn the crank (clockwise) it feels like one of the pistons is coming in contact with a valve. Should I continue to remove the heads? I heard somewhere that the valve train on these engine break easily. The chains are still intact as well as the cams, so where would I look to see where the failure is?
By the way the car only has 141k miles. Perfect full leather interior

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
you would check at the valves when you take the heads off, no these engines do not break easily they are very durable in fact, this one guy ran one without oil for a good 40 minutes, it locked up, he put oil in it after everything cooled down, fired right back up, no problems suprsingly

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
jk89cat said:
scott is that some kind of weird sex toy next the the 57?
Negitive Ghostrider, That would be a lamp.

:rolleyes:

Should I continue to remove the heads? I heard somewhere that the valve train on these engine break easily.
If it were me (and it has been), I would not bother messing with the weak school 94/95 upper intake setup. Do a search on the Exploder engine swap or the 94/5 engine upgrade procedure.

The only valvetrain issue's were that the older 4.6'rs had crappy valve stem seals and will leak after time. The chains are good to go normally but the Rods and Pistons are powdered metal crap and prone to failure. Pulling the motor is eaiser then pulling the heads as far as I'm concerned but I might just say that so I can clean the top of the K-member... :)

-Scott

·
Registered
921 Posts
Scott... you act like you'd let it get dirty in the first place. I have a PI intake for sale if you want it, and I may happen to have a pair of PI heads as well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
...but the Rods and Pistons are powdered metal crap and prone to failure.
Hey now! I work at a Powdered Metal Factory :D. I dont think we make the internals for a motor (we might). But we do make tranny parts, clutch parts, and many other various automotive parts for Ford, Chrysler, etc etc... But im sure our metallurgy procedures have improved since the 94-97 Bird/Cougar 4.6l Design :tongue:

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Actually the powdered metal rods do just fine as long as you don't push them beyond there design limits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts