TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, my dad just recently handed over his 94 Cougar XR7 to me. BUT there's a problem. He says that one day when he started to car up, when he put it into reverse to back out of the driveway, the car began to bog out, and then it just shut off.:confused: When he started it back up for the 2nd time, he said that he could smell gas coming from the exhaust, almost as if there was raw gas coming out (That's means that the car is running RICH correct?)

When i went over to see the car, we got the battery partially charged (battery was sitting with the car for a couple of years now lol) and you can tell that the car was trying to crank over.

I really wanna get this thing started. I just dont know what to do next!

If you guys can help me out, i'd REALLY appreciate if you could dumb it down for me a little, as this is my first time working on a car on my own...

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
well first i would replace the battery, you probably have enough juice to run the accesories but not enough to start it.
second once its started, report back with the problems your having. So far it sounds like the ECC is hanging an injector open, its a known problem on the 94/95's it happened to my car.

·
Super Moderator
7,655 Posts
As of now, sounds like the infamous 94/95 "hang an injector open" problem. A new battery, and a new computer, and you should have yourself a decent low-mileage car for less than $200. I'm sure someone on here is parting out a 94/95 4.6 that you can get a computer from for about $50.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
To add to what was said above, I'd also "sea foam" the engine and fuel system once you get it running. Lots of info on here about how to do it. I have to agree with the long distance diaganosis about hanging an injector open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To add to what was said above, I'd also "sea foam" the engine and fuel system once you get it running. Lots of info on here about how to do it. I have to agree with the long distance diaganosis about hanging an injector open.
Yeah ive definitly been talking about sea foaming the car...
THX

And thanks for the help guys, ill check back in with updates when I can. Im goin to the junkyard tomorrow :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the same thing going on with my Mercury Cougar xr7 94 changed spark plugs, wire, pcv, 02 sensor, and fuel pressure regulator. It’s running rich so much that u can see gas dripping out the muffler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine did the same thing , I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it fixed no fuel from tail pipe and runs like new

1 - 9 of 9 Posts