TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this for a friend of mine. He told me that his 94 cat will go into first and then only go into OD. He thinks it's an electronic problem.
I think it might be an accumilater or piston problem. Anyone esle know what may cause such a problem? He said other than changing the filter he hasnt touched the tranny.
 

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
A good place to start with '94 transmissions is the "MLPS" (Manual Lever Position Sensor). Apparently the '94 trans is notorious for having faulty MLPS's.

It's not too expensive and wouldn't take too long...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Now I have a 95 Bird and I am having similar problems with it..

Put it in drive.. accelerate in first.. it will bypass second gear and go directly into 3rd and then to OD.

Manually place the lever into second gear but the tranny starts slipping like it is not engaging all the way.

110k miles. 4.6.

All I can say is the tranny worked great the day before it happened.. Good strong positive shifts under normal accel or WOT.

Is the tranny the same as the 94 stated above? 4r70W right? or is the 94 an AODE?

MLPS? Where is that located?

Mucho Thanks in advance.
-Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
the trans is a 4R70W.

The MLPS is on the side of the case, do a search, there have been quite a few posts over the past few months on replacing it.

joseph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Wel does not sound like the MLPS to me.. I'll just let the tranny fry.. then set the Thunderchicken on fire..

First Ford.. Last Ford.. I'd rather have Chev engine problems.
 

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Rotordemon20B said:
Wel does not sound like the MLPS to me.. I'll just let the tranny fry.. then set the Thunderchicken on fire..

First Ford.. Last Ford.. I'd rather have Chev engine problems.
Unless you get a 'real' car like a 'Vette, F-body, or Impala SS (the ones built off of the Caprice body), enjoy FWD. :rolleyes:

It's your car, do what you want...I'd try to fix it...this way you could at least sell it for whatever GM car you want.

Oh, and don't think I'm some "Anti everything else" Ford guy...I am planning on getting an '02 Trans Am when I graduate next year...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I noticed one other thing wierd about it..

Dead stop I can put it into manual 2nd gear.. and it will not slip from a dead stop WOT to redline.. But I was thinking about it while reading up on the MLPS being vunerable to getting wet.

The last day that the transmission worked was a day that we had heavy rains. Drove home.. watched some TV, went to sleep and the next day it would go from 1st gear to 3rd and then overdrive, so whatever it was.. it went quick.

took it to a tranny shop last week and they said I blew a snap ring, it will be $1895 to rebuild the transmission.. I am like Yeah RIGHT! I fear automatics. First thing that came to mind was an accumulator was stuck or it needs a flush/fill and a filter.

What I said above was just out of pure stress. :leftright
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,411 Posts
$1895 for a rebuild???? You could get one that is a million times better for less than that....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,178 Posts
Stephen C said:
I'm asking this for a friend of mine. He told me that his 94 cat will go into first and then only go into OD. He thinks it's an electronic problem.
I think it might be an accumilater or piston problem. Anyone esle know what may cause such a problem? He said other than changing the filter he hasnt touched the tranny.
my best guess is that one of the shift solenoids is stuck in the on position.. dont remember which one off hand, but the solenoids come all as one piece. They run about $40 at the ford dealer, and install fairly simply... do require dropping the tranny pan though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,178 Posts
Rotordemon20B said:
Put it in drive.. accelerate in first.. it will bypass second gear and go directly into 3rd and then to OD.Manually place the lever into second gear but the tranny starts slipping like it is not engaging all the way. 110k miles. 4.6. All I can say is the tranny worked great the day before it happened.. Good strong positive shifts under normal accel or WOT. Is the tranny the same as the 94 stated above? 4r70W right? or is the 94 an AODE? MLPS? Where is that located? -Mike
First check the fluid level to make sure its right. The 2nd gear problem could be due to the leaky aluminum accumulator... if that hasnt been upgraded, do it. that should be done regardless. if that doesnt help, then i'd check the line pressures and the resistances of the MLPS. This should help avoid spending unnecessary $. 4r70w tranny... the MLPS is the sensor on the outside of the tranny by the linkage.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Thank you very much Tom.. Gonna check that out tomorrow.. I know the Fluid is full and does not smell burnt.

Thanks again! :cool:
 

·
3rd Gear Chirper
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
Rotordemon20B said:
Wel does not sound like the MLPS to me.. I'll just let the tranny fry.. then set the Thunderchicken on fire..
Hope you didn't mean that cuz if you don't want her I do...Gimme Gimme Gimme!!

...I'd rather have Chev engine problems.
You sure 'bout that? You sure that you're sure? Ok Good you can have my beAt3R...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top