TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am looking to get alittle more go out of my 94. My question is are my stock heads totaly junk. Can I have them ported and polished with the pi cams in them like the 96-97 heads. I can not seem to find anyone doing anything to the 94-95 heads. I have a 97 donor car and can get everything but the heads off the car to convert over to the newer intake setup. If I have to I can grab a set of npi 96 heads pretty cheap but would rather use my 94 heads since they only have 32000miles on them then pnp them with pi cams.

Please dont say do the pi swap I dont have the money to spare. Just trying to figure out what I can do with what I got.

The car has 3.73 limited slip, mark8 tq that started going out at milan dragway last weekend, cat back exhaust, underdrive pullys, richardm tube, jerry tuned, 103s, 180 stat, 93 mark driveshaft, transgo shift kit I know its junk. It went 14.6 at 93.76 last year when it was about 50 degrees but could only pull off 15.0 at 90 beacause of tq heat this last sat.

Also what converter would you guys use with my mods? Somthing different or stick with the stock mark 8. I have to get one soon.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You can't use PI cams in those heads (94/95) without some work extra done to the valve spring seats.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Old high-swirl ports=junk. No porting can overcome the casting deficiencies in those F4AE heads.
F4AE on the left-F5AE on the right:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Those are both un-ported ??? Looks like a huge difference. Ive been wondering the same thing myself, I have a 95 engine but was considering picking up a set of 96/97 heads + the PI cams and doing a little porting.

- Dan

·
3,232 Posts
Those are both un-ported ??? Looks like a huge difference. Ive been wondering the same thing myself, I have a 95 engine but was considering picking up a set of 96/97 heads + the PI cams and doing a little porting.

- Dan
Those pics are of the same port on each head,and are unported as cast from the factory.
JL

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Intake port looks terrible compared to the F5 casting. Thanks for posting the pictures. Is it also possible to oversize the valves on the later model heads ? Or better to try to find a set of SVO ?

- Dan

·
3,232 Posts
Intake port looks terrible compared to the F5 casting. Thanks for posting the pictures. Is it also possible to oversize the valves on the later model heads ? Or better to try to find a set of SVO ?

- Dan
SVO's are much better,but you'd better get out your wallet....they're stupid expensive. I run a slightly larger valve in my F5AE's.
JL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pictures. Now I see why the 94-95 heads are so hated around here. I found a set of 97 heads with 75000 on ebay for 150 that say they have been checked out and have new seals and valves in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts