TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no clue what transmission it has. But it has an over drive button. Its slipping and slow to shift. Badly in the last week. I changed the filter and fluid of course... the old fuild was red and clean. At the bottom pan where the magnet was full of metal..... my question is a 94 sc transmission.... I know it bolts up and ect... but will I have to Repin anything? And will it have longer gears?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
Direct swap. You're better off though finding at LEAST 96 up - even better if you can get a 99 up (from a 3.8 Mustang) - since the valve body in 94/95 was horrible.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, avoid the 95 and down like the plague, they have roller one way clutches, and the valve body is very poor as stated.

find yourself a 96 or 97 and you wont have to repin the connectors, 98+ requires a repin, but their much better the newer you get of course.

and some of the 96's ive herd also came with roller clutches which are more prone to failure then the mechanical diode ones from 97 and up. so 97+ is where i would look.

just remember though that pretty much everything your going to find for these cars is gonna be high millage or it will have sat on a shelf for years. so used will most likely not be a good plan. and a lot of the re-builders out their use substandard parts to get you back out on the road only to return to them after the warranty expires...

also, those magnets will always be full of metal. that's what they were put their to collect. as a trans operates it will naturally grind off small filings of clutch material, metal from bearings, etc. now if theirs large pieces of metal, then you can worry. as long as you wipe all of those filings off when you do the filter and fluid changes all will be well.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
The mechanical diode wasn't a sure-thing until 98. Some of the 97s had them - but most didn't.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I found a 2000 with 63,000 with motor car was total 500$ for both... I'm still going to buy the sc trans and use it for now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, avoid the 95 and down like the plague, they have roller one way clutches, and the valve body is very poor as stated.

find yourself a 96 or 97 and you wont have to repin the connectors, 98+ requires a repin, but their much better the newer you get of course.

and some of the 96's ive herd also came with roller clutches which are more prone to failure then the mechanical diode ones from 97 and up. so 97+ is where i would look.

just remember though that pretty much everything your going to find for these cars is gonna be high millage or it will have sat on a shelf for years. so used will most likely not be a good plan. and a lot of the re-builders out their use substandard parts to get you back out on the road only to return to them after the warranty expires...

also, those magnets will always be full of metal. that's what they were put their to collect. as a trans operates it will naturally grind off small filings of clutch material, metal from bearings, etc. now if theirs large pieces of metal, then you can worry. as long as you wipe all of those filings off when you do the filter and fluid changes all will be well.

I knew shaving and stuff would appear. Normal use age. But the magnet had fresh and small metal parts... then at the bottom of the pan was grey stuck..... it just been shifting worst and now slipping

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The mechanical diode wasn't a sure-thing until 98. Some of the 97s had them - but most didn't.
ah, knew it was something like that. suppose the only real way of telling then without tearing it down would be to turn the output shaft backwards and listen for the clicks...

and yeah, if theirs pieces of metal stuck to the magnet bigger then a grain of rice then its most likely shelling out.

rmfk13 has a good idea :tongue: though if you were to do that, and even if you don't; its always a good idea to flush the cooler and lines before installing a new unit. get all the junk of out them so they don't get flushed back into your new trans and blow it as well. most parts stores sell kooler klean and stuff in an aerosol can that work ok. sometimes its also just better to buy a new cooler if you have an aftermarket one hooked up.

or bypass the rad and get one installed :) i like my trucoolmax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts