TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, as stated I'm attempting the explorer swap into my 94 SC. My reasoning behind this is that the motor and trans on my SC are crap and both need a rebuild and I currently have a crate explorer longblock that I was going to swap into a 98 Mustang GT (alas plans changed for that car when I came across another 98 GT parts car w/43k miles and took its motor and T45 :D)

I've done alot of my homework on researching this but I'm faced with some issues that I was hoping could be resolved on here.

-Can I swap a 4.6L Harnesses and EEC from a 97 Tbird into my 94 SC? or should the harness and computer be from another 94 Tbird?

-Does anyone know if swapping another computer into my car will cause a "No-Start" issue? Can a tune on the computer disable that feature?

-Does anyone know if the waterpump and harmonic balancer from the explorer motor will work or if I need to get those parts from a Tbird and swap them onto the block? It would make sense to me to keep the pump in place and keep the original balancer to the original crank, but when using the Tbird Timing cover and other front drive parts will they not fit/allign?

Finally, does anyone in the STL area know where I can have a 98 GT's 4R70W re-wired for a 94 Thunderbird? Can just any transmission shop do this? Also need to know of a good shop for a Tune and of a local guy with a 96/97 parts car ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Hello all, as stated I'm attempting the explorer swap into my 94 SC. My reasoning behind this is that the motor and trans on my SC are crap and both need a rebuild and I currently have a crate explorer longblock that I was going to swap into a 98 Mustang GT (alas plans changed for that car when I came across another 98 GT parts car w/43k miles and took its motor and T45 :D)

I've done alot of my homework on researching this but I'm faced with some issues that I was hoping could be resolved on here.

-Can I swap a 4.6L Harnesses and EEC from a 97 Tbird into my 94 SC? or should the harness and computer be from another 94 Tbird?
Yes, Its easier to use a 94/5 V8 pcm, pcm harness and engine harness. The 96/7 harness will require you to cut and splice connectors in the dash harness as well as the trans harness.

-Does anyone know if swapping another computer into my car will cause a "No-Start" issue? Can a tune on the computer disable that feature?
Nope, these cars don't have pats so its not an issue.

-Does anyone know if the waterpump and harmonic balancer from the explorer motor will work or if I need to get those parts from a Tbird and swap them onto the block? It would make sense to me to keep the pump in place and keep the original balancer to the original crank, but when using the Tbird Timing cover and other front drive parts will they not fit/allign?
Pump and balancer (damper) are better on the explorer and are functionally identical to the tbird ones. These motors are internally balanced so the crank pulley only acts as a vibration damper.

Finally, does anyone in the STL area know where I can have a 98 GT's 4R70W re-wired for a 94 Thunderbird? Can just any transmission shop do this? Also need to know of a good shop for a Tune and of a local guy with a 96/97 parts car ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You can easily do the wiring yourself, all you have to do is move around the terminals in the connector going into the trans.

·
5,650 Posts
Yes, you can, but you will run into a couple of problems. If you swap the computer and engine harness in, you'll only need to worry about 3 things. First, you'll have to add the OBDII port. The spot for it in the dash is there. Second, you'll have to interface the 97 computer harness with the 94 dash. Myself, XR7-4.6, and a few others have done this. It is only two connectors, so don't freak out. Third, you'll have to do something about the rear oxygen sensors. You can disable them in the tune or you will have to add the wiring manually. In the 97, the rear oxygen sensors are run from the computer through the dash and then to the harness that goes through the trans tunnel.

The only no-start condition you will have is if you didn't do something right. These computers don't use PATS or anything like that.

Unless you are going to wire in COPs, you will have to swap over your timing cover as the Explorer doesn't have mounts for the coil brackets. The T-Bird water pump and damper will fit right on.

Assuming you yourself are going to adapt the engine/computer harness to work with the dash, then you can definitely do this yourself. You probably will want to do it yourself once you find out what a shop might charge to do all the work you want done. It's not that hard at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I'm still a bit confused as to if I can keep using the Explorer Water Pump and Dampner or if I HAVE to swap the Tbird Pump and Dampner. I had assumed the explorer pump/dampner were better but will they work with the tbird timing cover and other front drive accessories?

Also I was wondering if the engine cradle/k-member is different between the v6 and v8 thunderbirds? Its sounding like my best bet is gonna be to find a 94 4.6 parts car so that I can get pretty much everything (except for the 96/97 parts required for the swap). Also will I have any problems wiring the 4.6 into the car using a harness from a 94?

BTW any recommendations on who I should go through for a tune?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts