TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I announced in the Misc section, I picked up a '94 SC on Monday after waiting for quite some time to find the "right" car. Not so sure if I found the right one or not, at this point.

When we initially expressed interest in the car, my husband test drove it for about 45 minutes. The seller touted a "recently rebuilt transmission", and a "crate engine replaced by the dealer", the latter which we confirmed.

So we were hooked. I took $3500 back to the guy, and we attempted to bring the car home.

About half way to my house, the transmission started slipping. At one point, it downshifted into second so hard that it chirped the tires. :eek: I tried turning overdrive off, tried getting on and off the gas, to no avail. The slipping problem only got worse as I continued home.

So a longtime friend of ours is a Ford master technician. I had him run the computer diagnostic test on our car. The car isn't throwing a single code. No check engine light, no flashing OD light................*nothing*.

So I contact the seller and call him out. He tells me to drive the car to the tranny shop, and I do. They call me today to tell me that they believe this is computer related? :rolleyes: Seems pretty damned far fetched to me, as the problem worsens the more I drive it, and at this point, the car pretty much hunts from second to third, not even touching first or OD.

I'm not sure where to go from here. What I *do* know is that I can't afford a rebuild, nor am I willing to pay for one after this guy hosed us. Does this sound like it could be the PCM, or is someone trying to make even MORE money off of me? Please advise, because other than this, the car is pristine, and I really need to get it on the road ASAP. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Well I feel like I am repeating myself over and over,but i highly suggest changing the mlps first. Computer problems are possible just not likely. Go to autozone ask them for a neutral safety switch buy it ,install it and disconnect the battery to clear the memory.
Alan

·
8,239 Posts
I agree with alan, sounds like an mlps, which is less than a 30 minute job and it doesn't require diassembling the transmission at all, its located on the outside of the transmission.

·
Registered
940 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
Well I feel like I am repeating myself over and over,but i highly suggest changing the mlps first. Computer problems are possible just not likely. Go to autozone ask them for a neutral safety switch buy it ,install it and disconnect the battery to clear the memory.
Alan
Make sure you set the MLPS in there right. Either way, if the trans was recently rebuilt is there some sort of warranty on it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the shop, the tranny was done 17 months ago............but I guess the seller would define "recently" different than I would.

I think I'm going to try the MLPS first..........cheapest PCM I found was $120. Thanks!

P.S. Would the MLPS thing make the shifts get progressively worse? When this started, at least I could drive the car. Now, it pretty much stays in second gear, although it occassionally hunts.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Evil95GT said:
P.S. Would the MLPS thing make the shifts get progressively worse? When this started, at least I could drive the car. Now, it pretty much stays in second gear, although it occassionally hunts.
Yes. That's what mine did, and changing the mlps fixed the problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mercutio said:
Yes. That's what mine did, and changing the mlps fixed the problem.

Excellent. I'm going to try to find one on my own, rather than have the shop locate one. Something tells me they'll want an arm, a leg, and possibly my oldest child.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dirtyd0g said:
I'm telling you go to autozone Part number F430. Price $26.47
I'm going to hit them up tomorrow as soon as I leave work. Thanks a bunch! :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
soooo, the suspense is killing me. what is up with your SC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kermit said:
soooo, the suspense is killing me. what is up with your SC

:mad:

The MLPS was replaced on Monday. I got confirmation today that the transmission is missing third gear. I'm disgusted beyond words, but believe we can have it straightened out within a week or two. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts