TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having a few minor issues. One is basically I believe the t-body needs to be removed and sprayed down, it feels like the car has a lot of power being lost. When I accelerate it seems to take longer than it should. Specifically I think the EGR valve. Not sure how to test for this sort of thing but it seems that way based on stuff I was reading.

CEL popped on and off a few times while on the highway. When this happens and if it is on MAX AC the air seems to switch to exhaust? I heard this was a vacuum issue but don't see any vacuums that seem to be leaking. Could this be related to the EGR valve possibly?

Also. car idles rough for about 10 minutes or so which I believe goes back to the tbody with the EGR valve.

If you can point me in the direction to DIY with pics that would be great!

I have seen the EGR valve itself on autozone's site for example but I can not figure out where it is located.

I also think I need to replace the charcoal canistor (evap?), when it is on AC (not Max AC) I smell some gas in the car. Not sure where this is either.

I am not a mechanic by any means however I have replaced my starter in my 89 Celica and 87 MR2 and some motor mounts on my Celica as well.

If this is beyond me I very well may pay someone for these things, worst case what should I be looking at for a full engine/tbody decarb as well as the canistor?

Again thank you in advance for any replies! This forum seems VERY helpful in the realm of Tbird/Cougars :)

EDIT: Last thing, I was told that this model should have come with a belt driven fan (not electrical controlled) but there is what looks like a port for an electric fan and I could have SWORN I was told that the previous owners replaced the radiator and put a belt driven fan on there because that is all they could get ahold of which made me think it was switched out to a belt driven one. One would assume that Ford wouldn't have added mounting locations in for a belt driven and electric fan, since the belt driven will need to be tensioned since the belt runs over the Alternator, AC, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body will have practically no effect on the driveability or power.

First thing I'd do is get the codes read. Ground the STI input (the small single wire gray plug) on the self test plug under the hood, then turn the key ON and read the codes from the check engine light. More on that at fordfuelinjection.com.

Second, it sounds like your MAF sensor might be due for a cleaning (or replacement, first thing like I said is to get the codes read).

The only difference between Max A/C and normal A/C is that max a/c recirculates cabin air; regular a/c draws in fresh air from the cowl under the windshield wipers.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you take a picture of your radiator fan and the belts and everything near it? What type of belt do I need? I want to swap this back to an electric fan. I swear this belt driven fan is causing the car to run hotter-than-normal since I don't think it can spin at full speed. Could be wrong though, who knows :)

@BlueEyes thanks for that, I saw someone refer to a cougar and didn't notice you actually had a similar car. :) Thanks for that.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
They probably made the swap because electric fans can be expensive and they probably had the stuff laying around to do the swap. I'll try to take some pics later but check out your radiator, hoses, see if you can get a part number off the belt if it's not too badly worn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts