TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeings i just picked up a 94 cougar 4.6 car with 66000 miles that
was driven by an older gentleman all its life, im asking- why is this year trans
so bad ? im not going to hot rod it. was going to dump the fluid and filter
and throw in some lubeguard. is there anything that i need to look at ?
i see something mentioned about the trans pan. didnt the 96 have a deeper pan?
should i swap one in and a dipstick. i did put a shift kit in my other 94 years ago.
but not going that far. just a nice day cruiser. any advice appreciated.-irv toms

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,352 Posts
No new dipstick is needed, just extra fluid for the 96+ pan.

Joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t use lube guard. Don’t use an aftermarket shift kit.

Use Mercon V ATF
Add an auxiliary transmission cooler
Find a 96+ trans pan and use a matching filter
J-mod
why not lubeguard. ive been using the platinum for years.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
The 1994 had faulty torque converters if its still the original. The rest of the transmission is an early design and there were many improvements made over the years.

Lubegaurd .. Its your car, do what you want. You can add it to Mercon to make it equivalent to Mercon V specification but I am pretty sure Mercon has been phased out and replaced with Mercon V at most parts stores already. Adding it to Mercon V is not necessary.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1994 had faulty torque converters if its still the original. The rest of the transmission is an early design and there were many improvements made over the years.

Lubegaurd .. Its your car, do what you want. You can add it to Mercon to make it equivalent to Mercon V specification but I am pretty sure Mercon has been phased out and replaced with Mercon V at most parts stores already. Adding it to Mercon V is not necessary.
i wont be doing a flush. just dropping the pan i have used mcraft and atp filters b4. any better than others? should i go with a ford pan or does the dorman and others fit well?
its been 10 years since ive done this on an mn12. how many qts do you usually get out.
have to check my fluids. i have a mountaineer 6 speed and an edge 6 speed .everything take different fluids. will use the merc v.. thank you

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,692 Posts
If you drain the converter and don't drop the valve body, usually 10-12 quarts will top it off. I put the Dorman pan with a drain plug on my cars and it fits fine.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
X2..

Yeah does not matter on the brands, just more important to use the 96+ pan holds 1.5 quarts more ATF and the 96+ filter has a pickup on the bottom for the deeper dump.

I was thinking more like 8-10 quarts .. But its been way over 10 years since I have worked on an automatic Tbird. Better to have more than you need than not enough. Adding a cooler is also highly recommended and there is another 0.5+ quarts there.

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
Dan sounds right about the quantities... I just know I had about 1.5 quarts left over from a 12 quart box when I did the J-mod on the 98 last year. And that means, since I DID drop the valve body, it has the deeper pan already AND the torque converter is smaller... that 8-10 is probably the ticket. :)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Buy a whole case, 12 qts. If you start the car and run some fluid out from a trans line first, then drain the TC, then remove the pan, you will use all of it. Actually, 13 if you drop the valve body. Don't just drop the pan, it's a waste since you'll only get 3-4 qts out.

There is a nice write up on changing the fluid in the tech articles.

Irv, I've seen you recently on the Mopar B-Body forum. That, combined with all the threads you started on here - do you work on cars 24-7? lol!

Al

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats not me . never owned a mopar. theres 2 of me ? im 72 and semi retired. only others i
have owned are pontiac bonnevilles. did everything better than a taurus.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
There is another irv here but his screen name is just irv. Maybe that's the one you're thinking of.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in a couple of tech articles i read it mentioned changing a couple of parts even if you
dont do the j mod. im not going to drop the valve body. im assuming that needs to be
done to change these. shoulda written these parts down. got #s and do ineed to drop
the valve body? thank you !--irv toms

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
If you aren't doing the J-mod, the only thing dropping the valve body gets you to is the 2-3 accumulator which needs to be updated to the new design.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what will that gain me. gonna be a nice day driver. might get on it once in a while,
but no brake torques or anything like that.got the deep pan and filter.im afraid to go any farther into it

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
The 94 trans is a timebomb without preventative measures, which the mild J-mod in fact is. It will firm up shifts in effect but it’s purpose as designed is to fill/exhaust the clutches quicker so they don’t slip and burn out, that’s why later model 4R75ws basically have it done from the factory. As much as I am also a proponent of the deep pan/filter, in the order of importance I place it a distant third behind J mod and auxiliary cooler if you want the trans to last.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
years ago someone sold valve bodies already done and all new parts installed.
anybody doing that now ? j modded and ready to bolt in. this was back when i first
joined.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
crap !:):):)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I think RobertP still sells them. There is also a guy on the Crown Vic forum that sells them, but that site is sketchy as far as security. Someone sells them!

Here is another option for the plate:

Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts