TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at trading a High end Car audio system that i have for a 95 Cougar. The car starts and runs fine, Body is decent. But the trans wants to shift from 1st to 2nd at around 3k rpm if you baby it a little, or you can manually shift it just fine.. My question for you guys is, is the trans on its way out or is it possibly a shift solenoid or something like that? Thanks in advance everyone. :confused:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Have you asked about any modifications to the PCM?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
When it does shift, does it kind of bang into 2nd gear? This sounds like a broken 1-2 accumulator spring and/or accumulator. Changing to the new style ones and a refill with Mercon V should do it I would think.

This is of course assuming that the owner has not installed a "shift kit" in it, which will destroy that trans. The best shift kit is the J-mod from what I've seen.

Jay

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Also sounds like a quite possibly TOASTED POS Roller Clutch & pretty much a toasted 95 Boat Anchor / Tranny.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it shifts, it shifts normal. No hard banging into gear. I'd very much doubt that the shift points have been changed because the previous owners were older people that had bought it new. The guy that has it now doesn't have the know how to even think about changing or having the shift points changed lol. After reading about the shift accumulator TSB, i'm thinking that i might just go for it and replace the aluminum ones with the newer rubber ones, and if it doesn't fix it then i'll also change out the Shift solenoid "pack" since its fairly cheap anyway. I'm really convinced that the trans is good and that its a simple problem because none of the gears slip, and it doesn't even have TC shudder like most mid90s fords i've driven have.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm really convinced that the trans is good and that its a simple problem.
that trans was on it's last leg the day it was installed in the car.
So, with that said... it sounds like you've already convinced yourself that it is ok.
So, go for it.

When that trans craps, then come back and we can tell you which trans to replace it with.

·
Registered
704 Posts
or is it possibly a shift solenoid:

IF it shifts, the solenoids are not the issue.
they either work, or dont.

"babying the shift, or manually shifting" doesnt change how or when the solenoid operates.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Funny how people talk about a superceded item like a transmission as being on it's last leg the day it was built .... when many go well past 100K or 150K with few complaints.

:D

zoideraserb, like someone else said, likely gonna find that the 1-2 accumulator has just one spring stock and it''s probably in 3 or more pieces. It will change shifting, and it will score the wall, and it can lead to leakage of the stock 1-2 old style accumulator.

I got a package from Robert P which was a drilled plate, and the new 1-2 and 3-4 molded accumulators, and two springs and gaslkets. My stock 1-2 spring was in 4 pieces and a scored bore and 1-2 piston. Lightly smooth the bore with fine 600 or 1000 wet or dry paper and clean and install new parts.

Mine was also making a loud rattle or buzzing at idle in neutral which is gone now, I think it was them spring pieces?

·
Registered
704 Posts
well I got 360,000 mile and about 4000 dragstrip passes out of my 95 trans.
but it wasn't doing any stupid stuff, didn't have any issues, was properly maintained and had the appropriate updates.
I never waited until something happened before I made the upgrades.

but the fact remains that trans was on it's last leg the day it was installed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine was also making a loud rattle or buzzing at idle in neutral which is gone now
valve body buzz, it's common.
A simple re-torquing of the valve body bolts usually cures it.

but by no means am I saying you shouldn't do the updates and upgrades.
I am saying that many times, if people wait until there are issues, doing preventative stuff doesnt cure it.

since your only "out" the cost of fluid and some springs/pistons....meh, it's worth the crapshoot IMHO

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
well I got 360,000 mile and about 4000 dragstrip passes out of my 95 trans.
but it wasn't doing any stupid stuff, didn't have any issues, was properly maintained and had the appropriate updates.
I never waited until something happened before I made the upgrades.

but the fact remains that trans was on it's last leg the day it was installed.
Funny .... and impressive .... I hope my car lasts as well.

;)

And yes .... I agree .... proper maintenance, etc is a given.

Later .......... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts