TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I believe to have the 95 ECU problem that the injectors are kept open (information from this site was very helpful). I am very handy with a soldering iron and wonder if anyone has repaired their own ECU for this issue? Is it just a problem with resistors or capacitors? I am in Calgary and a replacement is proving hard to locate.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
they are transistorized IC's that control an injector's pulsewidth
Yeah, this is exactly it. The use a similar ic to hold open the imrcs on the 97 engine. :)

There's a driver transistor after the chip, that is probably blown.

It initially drives a high current, to get things moving, then rolls back the current to prevent overheating. Makes it turn off faster also. Lower power, faster operation.

I've used these chips in some various circuitry since I found them in the imrc controller; There's a lot of great electronics in cars these days. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Yeah, your not going be able to fix a PCM with a soldering iron, its a bit more complicated and compact than a breadboard :tongue:

Check the classifieds here or even ebay for 94/5 PCM's if you can't find any near you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The PCM uses Quad drivers to ground the injectors, it takes specialized equipment to perform this task, they also use "cold heat" to solder these as they are very heat sensitive. I have a pretty good inventory of PCM's, let me know which one you have and I'll see what I have if you'd like. I had this same problem with mine a few years ago, BTDT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I opened it up and see it would not be very easy. I was able to source a repaired unit through a Bumper to Bumper so I should be up and running soon.
Thanks, Brian.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
they also use "cold heat" to solder these as they are very heat sensitive.
No, it's a standard reflow process; not even rohs, lol.

I have the tools to do smt repair; if you want to repair anything at all in the future, you need to learn how.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts