TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, my car is kicking my ass. I've posted about it on the Facebook page, but I got a 30 day ban, so I'm here looking for help. So my car has a miss from idle to about 1500 rpms. After that, it runs fine, but will have a random misfire. So here's a run down of the issues it's had since I bought it. It had a bad MAF. Replaced that. A week or so later, it started running rough, and threw a code for the DPFE. Replaced that and it ran great. 2 weeks later, it throws a code for too much EGR flow, so I put a new EGR on. Then the threw the code P1354. It had a dead miss. I did find that it had a clogged cat, so I changed out the cat pipe, and threw in a new set of plugs. Now I can drive it. No codes, but it has a bad miss under load. If you go WOT, most of the time, it runs great, except you obviously can drive WOT every where. I drove the car for a good hour and a half yesterday. No codes pop up. Does anyone have any ideas?? I've searched and see other similar issues, such as the EDIS going bad, so I had mine tested repeatedly so it got hot, and it still tested good.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
What wires are on the car now, how old are they?

Reactions: Tykobeanz

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Was the 30 day ban for paragraph structure, and other grammar problems? Please try harder.

Spark plug wires will do that, as said above; look in the holes, and see if there's coolant there.

It could be an intake gasket killing the plug wires.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 2 different sets of wires, one are just a parts house special, and the other set are Ford Motorcraft. It doesn't matter which set I use, there's no change in the way my car runs. The Motorcraft are not that old, the other wires are brand new. There's also no coolant or water of any type in the spark plug holes. My Facebook ban has nothing to do with my paragraph structure or grammar problems or lack there of. Hopefully my writing of this paragraph is acceptable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little up date. I wanted to do a COP conversion with this car, so I figured now is as good a time as any. I got it done today with new COPs. Absolutley no change in the way it runs. I'm beyond stumped. I have changed every possible part of the ignition with take off parts and new parts. Nothing I do changes the way it runs.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Do you have the hardware (or know someone who does) to log live data? Watch spark advance and spark source. Also, if you can, look at O2 sensor volts and STFT values.

Have you read the plugs?

Under low to moderate load under normal conditions, the front O2s control fueling (closed loop). If it runs too far in either direction it will miss. Can you hear pinging or knocking as it misses?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  1. No, i don't, and I don't know anyone who does. Now I have code P1355 popping up. I have googled the trouble code. This is what I come up with: Ignition START/RUN circuit is open or shorted to ground. Ignition coil driver 5 circuit open, shorted to ground or to power. Ignition coil 5 is damaged or it has failed. PCM has failed.
I've pulled the plugs, they all look good. No, you can't hear any pinging or knocking, just an audible miss, then it will fire, run as is should, and start missing out again. If you feather the throttle when it starts to miss, it will run better but not perfect.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Hopefully, that code means you did the COP conversion wrong.

The code means:
Ignition Coil D - Primary circuit fault

That means it's either open or shorted to ground.
If it was shorted, it should have blown a fuse.

Post pix of the plugs, with them numbered.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back through the wiring twice now. I went back to standard coils and wires. I'm still getting code P1355.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a PCM on eBay for $35. It came yesterday. I plugged it in, and the car runs great. Strange that the PCM bit the dust like that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my success was short lived. It's back to missing out randomly. I have no idea what's going on with it. I'm about to wash my hands of this car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts