TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all I have done a search and pretty much came up with nothing so please no replies telling me to do so. I'm not really looking to do a lot of modifications to my 95, just get it back on the road with as little trouble as possible. I have a good block (the original engine) to rebuild and a set of 96 GT heads. What I am wondering is can I use my 95 aluminum intake with the 96 heads and put PI cams in them? What about cleaning up the casting flash and gasket matching the intake while it's off of the engine? I know there are ways to get more power etc but I'm not really looking for all of that. I've got a Hemi Ram and a 68 Road Runner for my horsepower fix. Thanks in advance
 

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
Joined
·
6,253 Posts
95 intake w/ 96 heads not really worth it
you could find a used NPI intake fairly cheap to make life better than using that aluminum pos

however.. pi cams will work ok in the 96 heads, and doing a little port matching never hurt no one :)
 

·
Amateur Expert
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
I think the general consensus is that the 95 intake is a boat anchor and any attempt to use it with PI cams would be redundant. The intake is unable to feed the increased appetite your motor will have for air with the PI cams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the flip side of that argument, I've NEVER heard of a 95 intake cracking. Also, I have the Richard M tube and really don't feel like going through the hassle of swapping everything around to a 96-97 style fuel line & throttle cable setup. I know it's not the optimum solution but I'm trying to use what I have on hand. I bought this car new and don't really like seeing it sit in the driveway.
 

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
Joined
·
6,253 Posts
flying low said:
... and don't really like seeing it sit in the driveway.

tell me aboot it.. haven't driven the bird in two weeks, and still have roughly 2 weeks to go :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The original engine jumped time and ate the left bank of valves out at around 170,000 miles. I had a 90k mile engine that I bought off of the forum here for $240 installed to get me through my last year of college and it decided to dump oil through the exhausts and kill the cats and throw all sorts of engine codes out around March of this year. I got about 40k miles out of it so I guess I got my money's worth there. It picked a bad time to do it though because that Ram was painful when gas jumped to $3.20/gal. In any case, will the 95 intake physically work with the 96 heads without having to do a bunch of voodoo with RTV and the gaskets?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man. I had looked at the ports and everything seemed to line up but figured somebody on here had tried before. I didn't want to get ready to drop it in and find out the manifold didn't mate up despite what eyeballing it said. I don't know these engines nearly as well as the big block Chryslers like my other bird has. Is it me or did Ford purposely make things confusing as humanly possible when it comes to the blocks/heads/intakes on these things?
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
You'll also need to use the '91-'95 gaskets since they have the EGR passage molded into the plastic instead of the EGR dumping into the upper inlet elbow like on the '96-up. The '94-'95 and '96-'97 heads are dimensionally the same and there will be no sealing issues with the '94-'95 intake.
JL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are but I seriously doubt that a ported 95 intake and 96 heads with PI cams and headers is going to push enough ponies to pop the stock replacement head bolts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,617 Posts
If you are ever going to take the heads off again the headstuds are the better way to go because you can use them over and over. If you screw up torqueing the head bolts down or something like that on the stock bolts you will have to buy another set. Personally I think you'd be more pleased with an explorer motor for the weight loss and power gains.
Alan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,377 Posts
flying low said:
I have the Richard M tube and really don't feel like going through the hassle of swapping everything around to a 96-97 style fuel line & throttle cable setup
Sell the RichardM tube for 150+, that should take care of the fuel lines and throttle cable, maybe even a gt tube if you play your cards right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dirtyd0g said:
Personally I think you'd be more pleased with an explorer motor for the weight loss and power gains.
Alan
I'd be more pleased with my Thunderbird doing something besides sitting still flatspotting my speed rated tires. The Explorer swap is a headache I just don't feel like undertaking. I have everything for what I'm planning besides the cams and rebuild kit already sitting here. If I were really going to swap to a totally different style of engine I'd either go for the 5.4 to give it at least a little bit of torque in this overweight car or figure out a way to shoehorn one of the new Hemis like is in my truck in there. This thing is for basic transportation and cruising around. I'm just looking at a few "while I'm at it" improvements. I do appreciate everyone's input. That's why I posed it to the forum in the first place :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
True, it finally has been proven that a 5.4L SOHC SC can make some serious power at the Mod Depot and all that trash talk was proven as non-sence. The tech article that once stated "you can not make power in a 5.4L" is proven wrong and deleted from the web. Nevertheless, until there is a good intake in the market the swap will not be easy. Both HPM and myself are making one - HPM possibly late next year, mine is planned for completion in the spring, check it out at GM vs Ford.

Not enough people have done the 5.4L swap to make it an easy swap. The swap is still the territory of an experienced mechanic/ machinist who is willing to put some hard elbow grease into it. The 4.6L SOHC PI, 4.6L DOHC or 4.6L SOHC SC swaps are much easier and highly recommended.
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
J.Miller said:
True, it finally has been proven that a 5.4L SOHC SC can make some serious power at the Mod Depot and all that trash talk was proven as non-sence. The tech article that once stated "you can not make power in a 5.4L" is proven wrong and deleted from the web. Nevertheless, until there is a good intake in the market the swap will not be easy. Both HPM and myself are making one - HPM possibly late next year, mine is planned for completion in the spring, check it out at GM vs Ford.

Not enough people have done the 5.4L swap to make it an easy swap. The swap is still the territory of an experienced mechanic/ machinist who is willing to put some hard elbow grease into it. The 4.6L SOHC PI, 4.6L DOHC or 4.6L SOHC SC swaps are much easier and highly recommended.
Here you ****ing go again.
Ed's engine is SUPERCHARGED,not N/A,or are you too damned stupid to understand that.
I really wish Bill would ban you so you would just go take that crap elsewhere.
Damn near every post you've made in the last few days has had some snot-*** comment about hidden agendas,etc..grow up dumbass.
JL
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
What are you talking about? NA or supercharged, point is the debate is over. The article gone. I guess you simply want to keep a silly flame war going. I for one do not and will prefer that you stop adding wood to the fire.

Most of my posts here are to help people. So if you do not like it then go ahead and ban me. I do not care because I am deep in the club and I will not leave the MN12 community. Wouldn't it be much better if we put our egos aside and try to be more tolerant of others. I am trying real hard as you and your buds should.

I suggest you go to the
Flame Warriors Home and find out which one you are. Because I do not want to play your game no more.
 

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
J.Miller said:
What are you talking about? NA or supercharged, point is the debate is over. The article gone. I guess you simply want to keep a silly flame war going. I for one do not and will prefer that you stop adding wood to the fire.

Most of my posts here are to help people. So if you do not like it then go ahead and ban me. I do not care because I am deep in the club and I will not leave the MN12 community. Wouldn't it be much better if we put our egos aside and try to be more tolerant of others. I am trying real hard as you and your buds should.

I suggest you go to the
Flame Warriors Home and find out which one you are. Because I do not want to play your game no more.
If you want it to stop,then quit making snide comments in every post about being banned, vacations from posting, etc.
Also the comments about "trash talk" are total bull****.
You cannot deny that you have never proven what we have asked for-so,you sir,need to just drop it.
JL
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top