TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
95 4.6l with 200k mile original radiator is leaking. it appears to be coming from the right front of the radiator. It just started with the cold nj winter weather. i've read posts that say it the plastic side tank? which is attached to the aluminum part of it. can you reseal this somehow or just buy a new one. ebay has them for about 75$.

? when the trans line is disconnected , what fluid comes out of that line?

i guess i wasn,t specific enough. how much trans fluid comes out. answer: its alot

·
Registered
220 Posts
My radiator did the same thing. I replaced it. Afterward I thought that it looked like it was leaking around the drain valve. Might have been fixable but oh well, new is good. Same thing, after I hooked up the transmission fluid lines they leaked. Then I found out to first put teflon tape on the fittings.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I had a minor leak on my old 95's radiator. It only leaked when it sat in the Winter. I had the car for 15 years, never replaced it. It only leaked a very small amount, and eventually stopped for like 8 years, then started again right before I sold it.

Never leaked once it got warm out. If yours is about the same, I would just keep an eye on it. Sometimes, laziness pays off!

Al

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
That's how mine was too, Al, did it since I bought it in 05 and between then and 2011 when I finally swapped it for a Cobra rad. There were huge spans where there wasn't even a drip, then I'd see a puddle on the garage floor, then there'd be another huge span of time with no leak again. it was on the passenger side near the top at the side tank joint. There's actually a service procedure and special tool, illustrated in the Ford service manuals to replace the gaskets between them,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
radiator trans fluid? alot

did the radiator change because it seen better days , when i opened the transmission lines i was surprised how much trans fluid drained out (1/2 quart ?) onto the ground. . it makes that job a real mess. DID anyone flush out the new radiator ? the trans area and antifreeze area prior to installation?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just getting the car going after sitting all winter. There's a small puddle of coolant directly under the petcock. It was just a few ounces, hardly noticeable in the reservoir. Of course, it might just be the o-ring in the petcock. But from this thread, it sounds like there might be a part of the radiator that gives out on the right side. I'm replacing the thermostat today so I'll be checking more carefully when the car is lifted.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
... DID anyone flush out the new radiator ? the trans area and antifreeze area prior to installation?
I would; Depending on how it's made, there could be brazing flux, loose material, whatever.

Clear any water out of the tranny section, tho, water is bad for transmissions; all the stuff is glued together with water soluble glue, as it's running in oil normally. :)

Shake it over your head firs, being sure not to break it or the ceiling fan, lol.
Listen for loose parts inside, just in case.

I bought a cheap catch can / oil separator, and there were pieces of welding slag inside. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The leak seems to be inboard of the petcock and the leak is probably the seal on the right side tank. I bet it goes away now that the radiator has expanded and contracted on the seal. Probably don't need a radiator immediately.

My temp gauge had been showing some odd things. Sometimes it would be normal. But it often seemed to run cool. In really hot slow traffic conditions it seemed to spike on the high side, but never overheated. So I looked at the thermostat. And it was bent. It was a Motorad High Flow 170. It looks like the jiggle valve got wedged because it was in the wrong position. I'm glad I got the Motorcraft 190 because it looks far superior.

·
Registered
134 Posts
An unbent thermostat worked wonders on the cooling system. Now the temp gauge is just over the horizontal position and rock steady in today's cool weather. The radiator hasn't dripped another drop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts