TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trans has made it to 100K and still works. However it has the typical shudders, slow shifting and other common and normal problems.

Before it completely blows up, I want to take it out and do a rebuild and get a new converter. The car is stock, daily driver but I want to firm up the shifts somewhat over stock. I read about different mods, shift kits, rebuild kits, etc. I just want to do a rebuild that will get rid of all the known problems and be more reliable. (I'll add a trans cooler while I've got all apart.)

What would you recommend for this situation?

Thanks,
Jack
95 4.6 LX

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You can get a ford reman for $1200.
You can get a J-modded trans from Dennis for (don't quote me on this) $1500 (plus a core charge?) his e-mail is [email protected]

Or you could rebuild it yourself using the transmissions 101 tech article. This would be the cheapest.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The dennis trans is 1500 + 300 core + 250 shipping. better converters cost extra.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help

I'm thinking about rebuilding it myself since I need new suspension bushings in the front end and really want a set Addco sway bars. Also, the cost of a converter isn't cheap. However, I would hate to have to pull the trans out 2 or 3 times to get it right. A rebuilt trans that is built right sounds so tempting though...

Thanks,
Jack

·
11,719 Posts
Re: Thanks for the help

jackjenkins said:
I'm thinking about rebuilding it myself since I need new suspension bushings in the front end and really want a set Addco sway bars. Also, the cost of a converter isn't cheap. However, I would hate to have to pull the trans out 2 or 3 times to get it right. A rebuilt trans that is built right sounds so tempting though...

Thanks,
Jack
If you are a mechanical type person, I say do it yourself. With J's and A-train's articles, you can rebuild your trans just like the ones Dennis sells.

The BEST bang for your converter buck is a mark8. $200 gets you the converter and needed flexplate (from 5 star ford).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark converter makes sense...

After calling around to Art Carr, Level Ten, etc. rebuild kits and converters are very expensive. Since it is just a stock engine, the Mark converter should be just fine and much cheaper. Are the trans parts readily available from Ford? I would hate to have to wait a week or two for a back ordered part. In any project it always seems that during assembly I think, I should replace this part too...after getting the new parts. I think all the trans parts should be readily available to the dealers but you never know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question

If I follow the tech articles, will the trans really be suitable for a daily driver? I just want to firm up the shifts but not end up with tire chirping, neck snapping shifts. Everyone has a different definition of 'firm' and 'streetable'.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, if you build by the specs in Jerry and A-Train's articles, I would go with the Mild settings. If you go with the 300hp settings ALMOST any shift past 1/2 throttle will break the tires loose and if the road is wet even when yuo're babying the car, the shifts will send the rearend sideways. The Mild settings will give you nice quick shifts under litle throttle and a good chirp under 1/2 throttle or more. Just passing on advice that was given to me by A-Train himself.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just finished a tranny rebuild to the 300hp level, with a 2800rpm TC, and a chip to tie it al togther. At first I was worried about drivability, because the engine isn't up to the 300hp mark(YET!). After a week with it back, I can say that it is a much more pleasureable car to drive. Yes, a WOT launch will REALLY let you know when the tranny shifts, but 1/2 throttle or less is hardly noticeable, but quick and firm.
1/2-3/4 throttle is quite snappy, but not overly so. I'm not breaking loose like AverageJoe said, but I'm also running 255/45 tires:)
As far as parts- order in advance. I had to wait an extra week for my OD servo spring...:rolleyes:

Have fun!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well true Peter, but I was taking into account that someone new to MN12s would still be running 15" P215/70/R15 tires too. I can almost break mine loose under WOT on my bone stock 95, so I know his SHOULD be almost to that par. Mine needs a tuneup with it 77K on the clock.

Some other things are you definition of enjoyable. Personally, I like the feeling of a good kick in the back on the average shifts some thing that'll smack your head against the headrest under WOT. A good necksnapper. But maybe thats just me. :)

Anyways, back to you Jack. I agree. I haven't done anything to my car yet, but I must agree to order all your patrts in advance. And make sure you'ev got everythjing you MIGHT need. Because in every situation I've ever been in, you run to the dealership or the parts store and you need the most common part they carry. and thats the ONLY time they'll ever be out of it. The one time you TRULY need it. :)

BTW, I edited my above post to avoid further confusion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
One other thing, check for specialty tools that may be needed. Ford loves to invent tools, then make a part for the tools to fit...;) I think some of the internals require a tool to remove, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try to order everything up front...hopefully if I need something else it will not take long to get. I'll also order the recommended book and check it out first. That way I can check out special tools, etc.

Yes the car is stock but now I have two sets of 16" SC wheels. So I will be going to bigger tires. I guess I'll put the other set of wheels on eBay. I'm not really new to these cars, just modifying them. I have had it since new. I just never messed with it. But now it needs front end bushings and upper control arms. While I have all of that apart, I'll put on a trans cooler, electric fans in front of the condenser and maybe a remote oil filter setup. Addco bars too. So all of this is a ton of work. At least I did the Bilsteins last year.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't recall the brand, but I got it from Dennis Reinhart at Reinhart Automotive. You can contact him here. I'm sure others have suggestions as well, just shop around...:)

·
11,719 Posts
jackjenkins said:
I'll try to order everything up front...hopefully if I need something else it will not take long to get. I'll also order the recommended book and check it out first. That way I can check out special tools, etc.

Yes the car is stock but now I have two sets of 16" SC wheels. So I will be going to bigger tires. I guess I'll put the other set of wheels on eBay. I'm not really new to these cars, just modifying them. I have had it since new. I just never messed with it. But now it needs front end bushings and upper control arms. While I have all of that apart, I'll put on a trans cooler, electric fans in front of the condenser and maybe a remote oil filter setup. Addco bars too. So all of this is a ton of work. At least I did the Bilsteins last year.

Thanks,
Jack
How much were you looking for a set of the SC wheels?

I believe you'll need snapring pliers for the springs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SC Wheels

GreenBird said:

How much were you looking for a set of the SC wheels?

They are silver with center caps w/ holes.
They are really nice wheels that have not been repaired or painted.
$250.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts