TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a wrecked 1997 Cougar w/4R70W that I want to pull the transmission from and install in a 1995 Cougar.

Is there special considerations to me made when swapping a 97 4R70W into a 95? Are there any connector/pinout changes, other physical changes etc? I have read that there were some valvebody/control improvements between the years. Is it a direct swap or a little more involved?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I'd pull it apart, and replace all the rubber.

The JY 02 tranny's I've bought in the last few years were going bad from age...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm going to swap 97 transmission to 95 Tbird too and there's one more thing that I'm not sure about: a torque converter. Is the 97 the same like the 95? I can buy a 97 tranny with a new torque converter extra but i don't know if it will fit to my flexplate?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
This was the thread I made when I was ready to swap my first one; an 02 tranny is the newest one we can use, already has most of the mods done to it, and will last the longest.

They're now 15 years old... I rebuild them before I install them now. I tend to get ~4-5 years out of one, lol.

http://forums.tccoa.com/13-drive-train/97460-new-transmission-time.html

You, with a 95, will have to use your original solenoids and internal wiring.

The Y-cable that plugs into the tranny is the easy place to mod the pinout, it's removable from the car.

You should read the Transmission Article.

TCCoA Tech Articles

Here's a link to all the other articles:

TCCoA Tech Articles

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 94 SC and had my original unit die at 90K miles. I sourced a REALLY low miles 2003 Mustang trans. Swapped out the sensor harness and package (as mentioned for the solenoid and whatnots). Replaced the gear assembly on the tail to drive my speedo and off to the races. Used the Stang torque converter - works well. Much stronger trans that the 97 you're looking at. Did it for $300 including the fluid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only change you need to make is swap the 95 EPC solonoid over to the 97 one, due to different inpendences. Otherwise it's a direct swap, wiring and all. I'd j-mod it, and find a mark viii/Mustang GT/Marauder converter and flexplate while you're at it.
Are you sure it's an EPC solenoid to replace? I tried to find some info about these independence differences but I didnt find any. However, I have read that in 1996 a new TCC solenoid appeared with 10-16 Ohms resistance over the 1.0-3.0 Ohms for prior models.
4R70W Rebuild Check List - this article says so.
Also Jmod instructions - TCCoA Tech Articles - (written for 1995 4R70W) say to change an EPC solenoid for 1996 one like they're interchangeable.
Many dealers sells those EPCs as 95-97, for example, rockauto sells the same EPC solenoid for both 95 and 96 Tbirds.
Could you please make sure and confirm that? I have to swap my 1995 4R70W for 96 one, it's the only one available now in Poland and I can't afford to rebuild my original tranny. I just need to know for certain which parts have to be replaced to avoid any problems. I'm almost broke because of this car so another fail may force me to sell it, but I love it anyway ;/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts