TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a lot of knowledge on AOD's and 4R70's at this forum so I would like to ask as to what I could do about a bad AODE in a '95 F 150 2wd w/5.0. At this point it is down to first gear only apparently driven until second gear gave in. I've read that the '95 is not the best year for trans, is there another year I should shoot for to either fit the 5.0 or swap in the parts? What parts are recomended if I rebuild this one? Are 4.6's & 5.0's the same case? What is J-mod ing the valve body?
I would apreciate any reply's!
thanks
Sav

P.s. I looked for the articles mentioned in some threads but could not find their location.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Go to the tech articles, tranny, and then the OD 101 article.
The AOD, AODE, and 4R70W are very very similar save a few items, so much of that article still applies to you. If you swap in a different AODE, you will want a 5.0 one, the 4.6 bellhousing won't work.
The J-mod is mostly the chapters 13 and 14 of the OD 101 article, it will work on the AODE. I perform it on every trans I own like a ritual. lol. It will cut down on the slippage which helps the clutches live longer.

If you want to rebuild it:
I recently rebuilt a 93 AODE, yours will be very much similar. You should buy the mechanical diode one-way clutch and reverse drum, and use the 101 article to get the part numbers for the clutches. www.bulkpart.com sells a nice spiral lock kit for the one-way that's much better than the OEM snap ring. $10 well spent in my mind (sorry, they come in 3 packs only). The intermediate clutch may be a 3 plate, you'll want the new pressure plate so you can update it to a 4 plate clutch.
Don't worry about the gearset or output shaft, that's for supercharged or other high HP cars.
I recommend you call joe cooper ford (front page) and talk to Dan Newman.
Tell him Tom Gunshannon sent you and what you're doing, maybe he still has my old receipt to use as a guide. If not I'll have to see if i can dig mine up. Best service I've ever dealt with.

Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts