TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 95 bird cheap and the guy said it just quit on him. He said the car coded bad EGR. I put in a battery and it acts like it would run but only if you hold your foot down on the pedal. I checked a couple of plugs not wet but dirty. Any thoughts to get this bird running?

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
start with the basics.
How is the oil? Any coolant in the oil (looks like chocolate milk)
Check all the wiring connections.
Does the motor turn over well since you put the battery in it?
Check to see if your getting proper fuel pressure.
I doubt the EGR would stop the car from running.

·
Super Moderator
9,248 Posts
Are you saying it doesn't start unless you put your foot on the pedal? Mine did that once, problem was a sticking (bad) IAC valve. I cleaned it and it works fine now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
investigate

Thanks for the replies. Oil looks good. I will check on the IAC valve. Yes it will run for a minute or so when you have your foot to the floor, but only to about 1200 rpm and then doesn't seem to clear out it just dies. I think I will replace the plugs while I am at it. It seems the two I looked at the boots were really wet inside from moisture. The car has sat for about a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no go

I put in a new set of copper motorcraft plugs, Have fuel pressure at the bleed. I am having trouble finding were the iac valve is on the 95 4.6. My 97 the iac is right on the side of the throttle body. Is the iac on the 95 just above the EGR valve? The new plugs didn't change anything. Acts like it want to fire. Squirted in some starter fluid but no change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iac

I am not sure the 95 has iac valve at least I can't find one. I am leaning toward the cats being plugged next. Time to unhook the pipes I guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went through this,after taking the exhaust off,i realized i could have unscrewed the co2 sensors.I am pretty sure that would be enouph to let the car run,so you will know if that is the problem or not.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Should still idle and have low rpm with clogged exhaust. Plugged exhaust is normally indicted when you have no higher rpm or power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
clogged cats

Well got some time to drop the drivers side cat from the manifold and the darn thing started right up and ran just fine so now have to figure out what cats to put on it. I have a wrecked Mark VIII that I think I could rob cats from but maybe new would be better. Thanks everyone for you input!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine was the 3rd cat where the two downtubes connect,i just beat the guts out of it and put the h-pipe back on.Problem solved,i still have the two main cats,so everything should run fine.It was free,and the only cat i could get at,but it worked.Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That is incorrect.
I have personally had 2 vehicles with plugged exhaust, they would idle and run low rpm just fine but when you accelerate, they had no power or high rpm available. I'm not new at this game, been around the block a few times myself.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts