TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Well, I finally got around to installing the big 95 5.0 cobra intake on the car and also a 65mm BBK TB. Everything was going well until I found out that the Cougars have even less hood clearance than the Birds (DOH). To make a long story short I worked out a way to lower the engine down 3/16th of an inch and that gave me just enough room for everything to fit. Had a number of issues with the TPS and the idle bleed off screw on the TB but after much work she now idles fine and the motor has a big jump in power. Its a great mod to be sure just make sure the hood will shut :)

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hmmm...I will be putting mine on soon. Think I will have any hood clearance problems?

Any guess as to the power increase? Also, what TB did you use?

Lowereing the engine doesn't sound like much fun...good to hear it worked out for you though.

John

·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

Yeah, I think you will "just" make it with that hood LOL. I used the BBK TB. I ended up using spacers between the engine cradle and the frame as it was an idea I had a few years ago when I first worked on the big sway bar project. I had to go with longer bolts but that was no big deal. I was able to close the hood in the first place but the intake was pushing up on the hood just enough to deform the light reflection off the black paint so I needed a bit more room :)

As far as HP I would say 30+ anyway and that is conservative. Big jump to be sure.

Mark

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good to hear there is a noticable change in power. I plan on getting a cobra intake as soon as this guy I know is ready to sell his to me. Plus I will like opening the hood to see a snake on my intake.:D

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Well thanks for the heads up, and where was it touching the hood?? Also do you still have the hood blanket?? Maybe the wholeidea of selling the beast isn't a bad idea, since you can mod it with out Something being a PITA..

but still the whole thought of a intake hitting isn't far fetched, since i had an accell coil in the stock location, and it HIT the hood too..

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Will the Cobra intake fit under the hood of the Bird or now? :) I hope so, or else I'll be doing my exterior mods before the engine mods. :)

·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I have heard the intake will fit under the Bird hood and maybe some of those guys who have done this upgrade will post something about it. I still have my blanket and the problem area is at the front of the intake because there is a hood brace right above it under the blanket. One mod needs to be done as there is a air senser in the lower stock intake that the Cobra intake does not have. The boss is there but its not drilled out. FYI 9/16" hole and 3/8" pipe thread. As soon as I get a chance I will post some pics.

Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm gettin ready for that...

Hey Mark,
What other tips do you have for the 94-95 cobra mod? I am getting ready do do the same in december and I am gonna need all the advice I can get. I am gonna do it at home on my own perhaps with another guy to help me put it in place. Any advice would be welcome. It's gonna be on a '92 Cougar... I'm also getting a Ford Racing 65mm TB to go along with it.

Thundercat

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yup, the 94/95 Cobra intake will fit with the stock hood. You wont be able to use any spacers between the upper and lower intake but it will fit. I removed the hood liner because it was pressing on the forward edge of the intake. Also, when i ordered my intake i was excpecting COBRA 5.0 in red across the top but , all i got was SVO Motorsports etched across the top. I think there's a Cobra dress up kit you can buy. maybe next year i'll do that.

92 Sport

·
Registered
222 Posts
Call Ford Racing...

Yeah, I saw that it Had an SVO logo on it I was dissapointed so I called the Ford Racing hot line and the guy gave me the part number for the Cobra 5.0 that you can put on over the SVO logo if you mill it flat... Now, where did I put that number...

Thundercat

·
Registered
154 Posts
Actually I have a 1/2" motorsport phenolic spacer in my Cobra intake... you just have to remove part of the hood reinforcement (not much) and have a front corner intake bolt with a short head... there is about 3/8" of clearance between the bolt head and the sheet metal of the hood in my case. All is well.. however if you have stock motor mounts that are sloppy you might have a problem :)

Also keep in mind guys that the ONLY clearance issues are at the very FRONT of the upper intake... go get some playdough or clay, and put six 2" balls around on various places on your intake and then close your hood (all the way)... then you can really see what you're dealing with.

-Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey do you have any picts of your '94-95 intake installed, I have been kinda wondering what It looks like, since it doesn't show the 5.0 liter Cobra like a stock one does.......
Hell just for fun heres mine(I know its not in a T-bird, but what the heck right?)

its kinda a crappy picture, I just need to borrow a scanner to get a better one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've got pics, but no place to post them :(

-Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts