TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that cheap chrome imitation is coming off my grill too....

I've been thinking aobut takeing it off and just painting it a glossy black. Easy question....How do I get this thing off? Anyone else do anything with the 94-95' grills? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The grill has a few screws on the top then I believe it is one metal tab holding it in that you can pop off with a screwdriver. Now if you want to take the Cougar emblem out of the grill you will have to cut it out from the back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sounds easy enough. Now how bout' the painting?...should I remove the crappy chrome from the grill and use a high gloss spray paint. Thats what I'm thinking.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
It depends on the way the chrome is applied to the grille at the factory.
On the older Cougars (Fox), it was a huge PITA to remove it. I believe it was applied to pot metal.
You may just be able to sand it down, prime it, and paint it.
Ask cougar_guy04; he painted a '96 grille.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just sand it good to prep the surface. No need to take the chrome all the way off. just take the shine out of it. I sanded with some 180 grit I believe and stepped my way down to some really fine stuff, 1000 grit I believe. Then I put a coat of primer on it and some more fine sanding. I used some paint that matched the exterior of the car, I think it was duplicolor, and then I clear coated it. It came out pretty good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Thanks! I'm doing it tomarro and will get pics to see how it turned out. I don't know, I was never a big fan of these grills (96-97 looked fine though) Theres just to big a gap between the hood and grill i guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts