TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found lots of info, but not quite what I seek.
I got a sweet deal on the leftovers from an 02 GT that got a supercharger upgrade, except for the manifold and fuel rail assembly. (Even the PI coolant tube and alternator brackets)
From searching, I know I have to modify the airbox, change the MAF pigtail+IAT wiring, alter the ECU time accordingly and modify the tube itself for fitment.
Here is my question:
In your opinion, is any of this worth attempting without upgrading to the PI manifold?
FYI, my plenum and intake manifold are hand ported, as well as the exhaust manifolds.
Double FYI, my plan is to go to the DOHC engine rather than PI swap the 95 SOHC (170k+, smoker, but runs great)

The only power improvements made so far are above and smoke test...change every vacuum hose, EGR delete, PCV A/O, coils, plugs and wires, A/C delete, Catless downtubes, 2 1/4" 2 -1 -2 with tiny glasspaks, 25%UD. So, essentially stock. I have an SCT x2 tuner and will have Don Lasota do an email tune or I may buy the Pro Racer software this winter and get his base tune.

I lowered the car, new rack, all new steering ends, hi pressure steering mod, removed the variable pressure valve, PowerStop warrior brakes, front hubs, j-modded, converted evaporator to trans cooler, 9 inch 4200 converter, mark viii shaft, 3.73, trac-lok, 255lph pump, dual remote oil filters, battery in trunk, re-inforced and re-welded IRS, etc, etc.
Basically made the car safe, and now I want to run it and get it 4 wheel aligned to shake it down before we install the cage.

I got the GT parts on a sweet deal, and I hate the way it just gives up around 4800rpm. But I really do not want to invest much in the stock engine, so your opinion may help me decide.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
I think he was asking if a pi intake swap made a big difference.

Short version Yes; it takes the power out to ~5300rpm.
the2002 maf is a better, more linear maf, but it doesnt add power.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not being clear.

I was wondering if the 02 GT airbox, tube, MAF upgrades are worth it without the PI intake upgrade.

It's been a few days and I have since reassembled the car and am driving it around.
It no longer gives up so soon and now revs out to the limiter without a noticeable letup.
Other than the usual small issues, it works great considering it remains untuned. We will benefit greatly by resetting shift points.
For such a major overhaul, I am pleased. The new gear set and trac lock, with the new shaft and converter are working great, my J-Mod is holding up and the force-lube tailshaft upgrade has no leaks.
I thought I might have over- reached with the converter, but I like how it works. 4200rpm stall seemed high but that rating is in a heavier car making more power. I will check it JL style soon.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,088 Posts
Wait, you’re running a later model 80 MAF with the stock tune?

The GT MAF/airbox/air tube won’t add performance, if it does then either your old panel filter was dirty or your old MAF was dirty or bad. The PI intake is far more beneficial, especially paired with PI or aftermarket cams in 96+ heads or PI heads

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
479 Posts
I think that's the question, and answer. He was wondering if doing the rest made sense with the stock intake. Your "question" made it clear it is not 😁.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your reply.
The MAF, MAF Housing and airbox are OEM.
From the MAF to the TB is a custom creation to replace that awful plastic violin case. The metal pipe is not round where it crosses the fuel rail for hood clearance but it works and passed a smoke test.

I really do want to move away from the 94-95 induction system, but only if it can be used again in a DOHC swap.

I don't wish to do a full pi or even a pi intake only upgrade, the engine has 170+ on it. And upgrading to even just pi intake requires the 94-95 to 96-97 rail, lines, PCV, egr, cruise and throttle assembly.

Since I got the parts nearly free, I am considering only doing the airbox, MAF, inake tube from the 02 GT. Those parts likely can be re-used later.

Nope, the car has never been tuned.
It had a massive intake leak (left side, behind booster) when originally assembled. Also, the EGR tube was never threaded on to the exhaust manifold during assembly, you can see where it just barely caught, and all the rest of threads are rusted.
By the time I got it, the car was pretty sad.
It is getting better.
Is all this going into a '94-'95 "boat anchor" intake manifold?
Thanks for the reply. Yes we are stock. I have everything but the manifold from an 02 Mustang Gt that got a blower upgrade.
This is the car now.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
479 Posts
If you haven't paid for those parts yet, I think it's best to have that cash towards getting the DOHC motor down the road. You may find a parts car with all of the items you need for that swap later.

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
I believe I understand the original question now. No, it really wouldn't be worthwhile to install the Mustang MAF and air filter box.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much for the replies.
I got the airbox, MAF and housing, tube, a whole bunch of intake vacuum lines, cables TB and elbow (I always called these upper plenums) for less than $30.00.

I made the decision to not install the parts this year, based on your input.

And the car will be put away until April.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
elbow (I always called these upper plenums)
A plenum would be used on a heat exchange system connection at greater than atmospheric pressure (like on your household AC/heater).

If you want to consider the intake manifold a plenum .. The elbow would be an inlet / return plenum, intake manifold would be the inlet / return plenum mixer, engine the heat exchanger and the exhaust manifold would be the outlet / supply plenum. 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts