TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Long time no post. Been distracted by my motorcycle. N E way. I'm looking in to SCCA solo 1 racing. Basically, driving around cones on a closed off parking lot or old landing strip. I'm wondering if my 95 v-8 mostly stock cougar would be competive at all. Vehicles from m-3's, corvettes, mitsu EVO's, down to civics, corollas even a explorer sport and a geo metro @ the lowest of track times compete in diff classes. I'm curious if my cougar would be able to compete. Biggest draw back is the auto tranny and the soft stock suspension + being sooo heavy = tons of body roll. I could potentially race the cougar or a 98 tacoma 5spd 4 cyl. I'm thinkin the cougar is better. Only mod's r a tranny cooler and a K&N panel filter. So what do ya'll think???
Thanks,
Ash

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You should read the rules of the classes, and do the mods that you can. I would definately take the cougar over the tacoma.

A course with long staright-aways will favor our cars. You will want to get the car balenced, so it's slightly understeer, and you can power oversteer at will (without alot of throttle).

·
Registered
102 Posts
You will need REAL performance tires, barely DOT legal tires--not the typical so-called high performance tires. Then you will need to totally upgrade your suspension. Some people run with automatics, most with manual transmissions---driver control,you know. My t-bird also has a 5 point roll bar going to a rear shock tower brace to stiffen the chassis. On tight courses I can't compete with the foreign cars, on the fast tracks(90mph) on the straights or esses, I do well. Two weeks ago on a mid size course put on by the Corvette club, I came in 8th, beaten by 2 WRX Subaru cars and a couple of Vetts. I did beat a couple of new Mustangs and 2 Cobra kit cars and many Corvettes. Seventy entries, mostly Corvetts.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i been thinking to SCCA race my birdy for a while now...just need some more money to throw on a suspension and some new tires...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah go ahead and have fun. You will be surprised what you'd do with the stock suspension. My Cougar handles better than my '93 5.0 stang. Of course I have better tires but as far as roll and under-over steer my cougar is a little more responsive. I have hardley any roll at tight turns. If you got some rims from a junk yard and put some slicks all the way around you'd do pretty good (not top place good). My cougar has all new OEM suspension except springs and it does really well for its weight. I would love to enter in something like that.

Clay

·
Registered
975 Posts
How competitive are these events? I would love to run my car on a windy track, but I don't want to come in an embarassing last place. Drag racing is cool because just about all kinds of vehicles go there. I would love to set out some cones in a Walmart parking lot, but I don't think they'd go for that.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
XR7Kid, from here in OK runs stock class in a 3.8 Cougar with 16" wheels and does pretty good actually. It's more about aggressive driving, and knowing your car in the stock class, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I ran my first autocross last Saturday, and my Bird is less than stock, even. (Added weight from big stereo system, dead shocks, UCA's need replacing soon) But it didn't do too horribly. I did get first in my class (although I WAS the only car in it!:tongue: ) and I had a lot of fun. But I'd be willing to bet that the birds and cougars can outhandle at least the Mustangs anyday, especially since I beat a GT and I have no experience whatsoever. I dunno about the other guy though. Maybe he fell asleep. I'd imagine the IRS helps quite bit, too.

·
Registered
861 Posts
you should do pretty good in a stock class. with just springs and 1989 wheels they got me running in a prepared class and doing quite well. it really comes down to 90% driver and 10% car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys! I've been thinking about it and autocross would probally just be too much abuse for my Cougar. 95 w/ a odometer that stopped working around 64k, prob. around 100k + now. Already blew up a tranny. So this is a good reason for me to start planning on my race car project. LONG TIME RUNNING.... I'm looking at my neighboors 88' BMW 325i s its been sitting a while and i'm hoping they will want to get rid of it for cheap. woo ha ha ha. :D Anyway, any suggestions on that front???

-ash

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My Cougar has 145,000 on it, and sees the dragstrip pretty often, with no problems. I'm sure with a little preventative maintenance, your Cougar could be ready for SCCA in no time, just check out your balljoints.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ive been looking into doing this, like start off with my stock sport, and go from there, upgrading the suspension an so, mn12s fall in the street preped E class right?

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stprepm.html#Ford/ Mercury

class e, doesnt say if the V8 cars are any diffrent, but id imagine the v8s for the sc's are the same, so id assume, e class car, witch would mean the competion wouldnt be to bad in comparison, you would do relatively well stock, and hey its not always about wining, go out and have fun, its what i want to do, i know i wont win any awards but ill have fun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts