TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy i work with has offered me his 95 Marquis for a mere $700. What i need to know is if there are any known problems with this car? isn't this pretty much the same 4.6 as a 95 bird? he said it runs good and he's never had it break down. and it uses a little oil. 140k miles. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The Grand Marquis and the Crown Victoria are rock solid cars. They go on and on forever. The only thing to watch out for is the oil burn, but its a minor problem. My buddy has two of them (1993 and a 1988)

It would be a great driver, if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, and i've worked on this car. it's in really nice shape. i'm going to get one last look at it this afternoon. my brother will probably be picking this up since i wrecked his car in december.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I own a 1993 Grand marquis , it has a little over 165,000 m , and the engine runs like new , no oil is lost between oil changes ( which I do every 3000m ) a constant problem is the window motor / regulator specially on the rear windows , but I had them all four fail at least once , and it appears to be a common problem with these cars , the other problem seen often is the wheel clockspring , in my case the cruise control is not working , which is no problem because I almost never used it anyway ,
the engine is pretty much the same as my tbirds engine so all I know from here applies there

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he said the rear windows are stuck, which i can fix. and the A/C just went out recently.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
he said the rear windows are stuck, which i can fix. and the A/C just went out recently.
Go to www.lincolnsonline.com (go to 'Tech - Town Car') for all your needs on these cars. there Tech forum is excellent and there is several write ups on the window problem.

When I bought my 95 Town Car the guy told me the engine was bullet proof and should last forever. Really. (April fools...) the engine should last easily 300k as well as the car if taken care of. The three big things to look for are:

1) EGR valve clogs up
2) Valve seals leak but if replaced with upgrades, they will not leak anymore. Not a problem other than it eats oil.
3) Front end wears out and becomes sloppy due to the weight of the vehical.

Tranny 1-2 accumulator spring breaks (gee, what a shock)
Air bags (if equipped)
Some times the Oil Filter Adapter seal will leak, not hard to replace.

Get a tranny cooler asap. It can only help.

Here's my site on my town car (if that helps any).

http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1995Lincoln/Tech%20Tips/

Here is an excellent tech tip on the rear window problem (if this is what you are having a problem with):

http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1995Lincoln/Door%20Repair/index.htm

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so this should be a good daily driver for my brother to go to work and school.

about what kind of MPG will this get? i'm thinking 15-18

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
so this should be a good daily driver for my brother to go to work and school.

about what kind of MPG will this get? i'm thinking 15-18
!8 at the minimum unless he lead foots at every light. I am getting 22 in town and 25 - 27 on the highway. Worse I ever got was 16, but that was doing supermarket hops from home. Mostly it is 18 - 19 in town.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My mom's 96 Grand Marquis gets a solid 26-8 mpg highway (driving 5 under the speedlimit and using cruise and depending on w/without 10% ethanol :redmad: ) and in the low 20's around town. BUT her GM has 2.73 gears!! :beek:

And I agree with everyone else the CV/GM are VERY reliable cars that can last forever. There's a reason taxi cabs and police cars were CV/GM's for a very long time. :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Typical issues: window regulators, valve seals, EGR channels, electronic climate control heads, transmissions were weak.
At least no air spring suspension or intake manifold with plastic crossover. Panthers go well over 200k with minor issues stated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts