TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four years ago before I discovered this site and before I bought a Ford Service Manual, I brought my T-bird to the local Ford stealership because the ignition was getting too sloppy. Didn't know how deep into the steering column they needed to go and presumed they would use the proper parts and cut the new key to match up the door locks. My mistake. They left me with three keys and a $330 bill.

Recently, kept getting the annoying key-still-in-the-ignition chime when getting out of the car even though the key was out, so I got a new ignition lock from Rockauto. Finally found a good ten-cut diagram on a Rockwell Industries web page showing what was really meant by A, B, C, D, E. Ordered an E ignition to match the original key, the Ford stealer had used an A ignition. I guess the sixth position could be cut to an E depth but that's not how it's supposed to work.

So the job took me about fifteen minutes and about $50 in parts as compared to the $330 the Ford dealer charged me. Still need to have the keys cut to match the doors but for the price I don't mind having three keys for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have gone to the boneyard and picked up matching door/ignition locks for like $20.

That just seems a whole lot easier to me.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the story has a happy ending. I couldn't trust my local dealership due to past history, so while I was out and about I stopped at Townsend Ford and asked them. They said they had a new Rotunda key cutting machine so I gave them the two new ignition lock keys and my old key with the right door lock cuts. They cut them no charge. The keys worked hard on the driver's door, not so good upside down, and one of them didn't work at all on the passenger door. Finally realized they hadn't cut position #5 to match the door lock, so I just trimmed it down with my dremel. Now they work, just like new, and back to only two keys on the chain.

Pulling apart the door panels doesn't sound all that easier to me.....

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
So the story has a happy ending. I couldn't trust my local dealership due to past history, so while I was out and about I stopped at Townsend Ford and asked them. They said they had a new Rotunda key cutting machine so I gave them the two new ignition lock keys and my old key with the right door lock cuts. They cut them no charge. The keys worked hard on the driver's door, not so good upside down, and one of them didn't work at all on the passenger door. Finally realized they hadn't cut position #5 to match the door lock, so I just trimmed it down with my dremel. Now they work, just like new, and back to only two keys on the chain.

Pulling apart the door panels doesn't sound all that easier to me.....
You don't have to take the door apart to remove door locks.

When you open the door, there is a small metal tab right next to the door lock on the edge. When you pull that tab out of the door, the key lock literally falls out of the door.
Unhook the rod and voila! There is your key lock.

Very, VERY simple biscuit is all I'm saying! :D

I've done several...

Ignition is pretty easy too (if you have the key) - turn key on and poke coat hanger or something in the little pin release hole in the bottom of the column and the key cylinder pulls out.

The big PITA comes if you don't have the key. I've drilled out several :mad:

Whatever path you chose - I'm glad to hear you got it all worked out! Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
For what it's worth, I just replaced the ignition cylinder in my 96 last week because it was all sloppy, the door chimer thing broke a year or two ago so I didn't worry about that.

I bought from eBay, it was $29 plus I paid an extra $9 to get it keyed to match my current key, plus shipping. Very easy process, seller was wolfsecurityhardware. Highly recommend him!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
For what it's worth, I just replaced the ignition cylinder in my 96 last week because it was all sloppy, the door chimer thing broke a year or two ago so I didn't worry about that.

I bought from eBay, it was $29 plus I paid an extra $9 to get it keyed to match my current key, plus shipping. Very easy process, seller was wolfsecurityhardware. Highly recommend him!
Rockauto has them for $15 plus $7 shipping, but you don't get that custom "key matching" service which is pretty cool!
However, working at the shop, I've matched new cylinders to customer's cars (it's not super complicated).

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the door locks.
You're welcome. Been through a few of my own and a bunch for customers at the shop, so if you need any other help - just ask!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

When I sold parts at the lincoln mercury dealership, I was the go to guy for cutting keys. I had a tackle box with all the extra tumblers. I would rekey all the locks for the techs.

Seems like noone wants to even mess with it these days. Which makes me mad, cause it isn't hard.

I wish I had the handheld 10 and 8 cut cutters. I hate the automated machines. They hardly ever get it right especially on worn out keys. Prolly cause the techs just throw the keys in there without properly lining everything up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts