TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done plenty of searching on the forums about this, but everyone who has done the dohc swap has done it in a 94+ Thunderbird, so please don't tell me to search. :tongue: (Unless I am wrong about this of course, then you can yell at me)

Today I came across a 95 Mark VIII in really nice shape that I can purchase as a donor car. The car had something happen with insurance and an accident so that it's title is no good in NJ anymore, and can't be re-instated. So therefore I can have it for $1300, the whole car, and I want to take the motor out to swap into my 93 Bird that currently has a 3.8L v6. I'm assuming nobody has done this yet? I've seen that a few people have done the 4.6L dohc into a 4.6L sohc bird, but not the 3.8L, so I'm wondering what kind of problems this would pose, if any.

Would I be able to use the motor and tranny from the Mark in the Bird with no problem, and would I have to use the Mark eec or could I use the Bird's eec and have it re-flashed? Also, which wiring harness should I use?

I mostly need information on how much trouble it will be to wire this and get everything working with the least amount of trouble, we'll have the whole car available to work with, which should make things a little easier. :D

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
racecougar I believe is swapping a 32v into a older V6 Cougar.

The wiring would be a you know what, you're gonna need the computer and wiring harness from the Mark. You can use the engine and tranny, I'd recommend using the Mark's driveshaft and rear end as well as you won't be able to reuse your shaft and your 7.5 rear could use an upgrade.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
Yep, I'm doing the DOHC swap into a 90 XR7. The wiring that I started with is from a 97 LX 4.6L that I modified to work with the 90 XR7 and the DOHC engine. I'm using the EEC from the 97 LX as well. Here are a couple pics of the current progress:

-Rod

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just worried about what a mess the wiring will be, but I see that most people actually used the 4.6L Thunderbird wiring harness and computer instead of using the ones from the Mark. Would it be easier to use the 4.6L Bird harness and computer or the Mark? The Thunderbird computer would have to be reflashed I'm assuming, so would it even be feasible to use the one from the Mark?
Btw, thanks for the help guys, it's greatly appreciated! ;)

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
It's possible to use the Mark computer, that's what 4 Cam Bird did. I just found it to be much easier to use the 97 4.6L harness, especially since I was installing a 97 dash. The Tbird computer will be reflashed to run the DOHC correctly.

-Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts