TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My $#@ car wouldn't start this morning. It cranks over fine, just won't start. No SES light, ran perfect last night. I kinda suspect the IAC, because a few times when it was cold, t had a low idle when first started. Also, it was below zero last night, and about 4 degrees when I tried to start it.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
674 Posts
if you suspect the IAC, you might tap on it while someone else cranks it. Or just take it off and clean it. Can you hear your fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Thats another possibility...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear a noise in the trunk area when I turn the key. The car is at home, I am at work. I though that might be the fuel pump.
I gave up real easy this morning....tried for a few minutes to start it, got in the Explorer and went to work. I was too cold/frustrated/tired.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to pull codes with a jumper wire, froze my ass off, it's a whopping 6 degrees out there... came up with nothing that made any sense, obviously I wrote the codes down wrong. I wrote:
111=pass
663=can't find this one
611=or this one.
I do hear the fuel pump prime.
It's too frigging cold to do anything else tonight.

·
Banned
377 Posts
if you can hear your fuel pump priming then its working.....how well is a diff story.....id manually move the butterfly on your tb with the throttle cable linkage......just to make sure its not stuck.....as i always say, air/fuel/spark....always look for the main symptoms first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
if the wiring harness is the same as a birds,the wires that go to the crank sensor sometimes act up.it happened to mine a couple of times.try reaching down by the A/C compressor and moving the wires.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
We had a problem on a 95 Mark not long ago .. wouldnt start on cold mornings, then it just wouldnt start at all. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced and it has been fine ever since.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
How could I test the crank sensor?
First, reach down to the left of the crank pulley and find the sensor. Then, grab the wiring going to it and push up and to the right while wiggling in order to get a better connection. Then, turn the key and watch the motor run!

Here's a pic of the sensor:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, reach down to the left of the crank pulley and find the sensor. Then, grab the wiring going to it and push up and to the right while wiggling in order to get a better connection. Then, turn the key and watch the motor run!

Here's a pic of the sensor:

I would love it if it turns out to be that simple! If it ever warms up here, I will try it. Supposed to be a whopping 31 degrees here today! They are saying 60 next week......
Too bad this couldn't happen last week when I was on vacation!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Have you tried starting it while giving it a little gas (opening up the throttle plate a little)? That helps if it is the IAC.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It runs, now I see coolant.......

Ok, I got it running. Before I tried it, I crawled under the car and pushed and pulled on the CPS connector. I got in the car and turned the key. It did not start right away, but when it did, it idled a little slow for a few minutes, then ran as normal. I am not sure what made it start, if it was from wiggling the connector, or if it was because it was a little warmer out today (30's). We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.
While I was under there, I noticed some coolant on the sway bay, directly in front of the crank pulley. Not sure where it is coming from, but pretty sure it's not the water pump. Anything common that leaks in that area?
I guess tomorrow after work, I will put it on the lift and check that out. Maybe I'll pull the CPS connector off and clean it out, just because.
Thanks.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Ok, I got it running. Before I tried it, I crawled under the car and pushed and pulled on the CPS connector. I got in the car and turned the key. It did not start right away, but when it did, it idled a little slow for a few minutes, then ran as normal. I am not sure what made it start, if it was from wiggling the connector, or if it was because it was a little warmer out today (30's). We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.
While I was under there, I noticed some coolant on the sway bay, directly in front of the crank pulley. Not sure where it is coming from, but pretty sure it's not the water pump. Anything common that leaks in that area?
I guess tomorrow after work, I will put it on the lift and check that out. Maybe I'll pull the CPS connector off and clean it out, just because.
Thanks.
Coolant could be leaking out of the radiator (hoses) or the water pump. There is a weep hole on the pump housing - check that for moisture. You can also pressurize the system and look for leaks.

I'd bet my paycheck this week it was the sensor harness. I've seen it dozens of times, and had it happen to me a few times before I eventually replaced the harness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts