TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
NICE. Looks like they shortened the width of the 4 mounting points to make it fit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NICE. Looks like they shortened the width of the 4 mounting points to make it fit.
We did raise the front mounting and shortened the width to fit the frame. On the back mount we made that fitting to weld to frame and mounted support to it. We also have the front suspension from the T-bird in the frame. The truck drives and handles very good. We still have a bit of body work before it is finished.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
And....used the stock mufflers.

SWS

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Nice project, and great job.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Looks like a great project... I did see one old truck finished that had the IRS in it. But.. LOL what are you going to use for wheels? Or are you going to do the Mustang Hub swap to increase your choices?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tbird drivetrain IS a great truck drivetrain. The 3rd and 4th Gen Explorers and Expeditions are IRS setups similar to the bird.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a great project... I did see one old truck finished that had the IRS in it. But.. LOL what are you going to use for wheels? Or are you going to do the Mustang Hub swap to increase your choices?
I am going to relocate the bolt pattern holes for a 5x4.50 in the original hubs. It is such a shame that the pattern is 5x4.25. I am going to use smoothie wheels and Ford hubs caps with beauty rings . The wheels will be painted the same red the trucks is. I am trying to go for original look of the truck with easy driving and dependability. My machinist said relocating the holes will not be a problem. I can order wheels for the 5x4.50 but no one makes any for 5x4.25.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Did you guys fab up the mounting points and spring mount or is it available somewhere? I know some guys with T-Buckets who would love to do something similar.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I am going to relocate the bolt pattern holes for a 5x4.50 in the original hubs. It is such a shame that the pattern is 5x4.25. I am going to use smoothie wheels and Ford hubs caps with beauty rings . The wheels will be painted the same red the trucks is. I am trying to go for original look of the truck with easy driving and dependability. My machinist said relocating the holes will not be a problem. I can order wheels for the 5x4.50 but no one makes any for 5x4.25.
It is also possible to use the 03-04 Cobra rear hubs. they fit in the T-bird rear suspension and already have the 5x4.5 pattern. the front of course is easy, just swap on Mustang front hubs and rotors.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Wasn't sure of the years... thanks.

Of course, so will drilling them as he mentioned. Just wanted to point out other options in case he'd rather not have the extra holes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you guys fab up the mounting points and spring mount or is it available somewhere? I know some guys with T-Buckets who would love to do something similar.
We did all the fabrication and made all the parts we needed. I don't think any parts are available for this application. It was an opportunity we had because my neice wrecker her 95 T-bird and I got it for practically nothing. My son and I looked it over good and he said we could do this, so that was how we got started. It has been a lot of fun and we have something to enjoy driving. Tha original truck had a top speed of 48 MPH. Who could enjoy that? Thanks for the interest. Larry.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Wow , what beautiful work you have done .

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I am green......I like them but LOVE the 51-6 (just like everyone else) effies.

SWS

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Awesome.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts