TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6months ago I bought a 95 tbird with 3.8 (greenbird) motor. no issues or check engine light. A month later CEL comes on throwing a code for o2 sensor. Changed the sensor and the car ran fine for a day then started getting choppy. I ran some Cataclean in there after talking with a parts guy hoping it will help me. The next morning the car wouldnt start.
After a check over on all basic points to a running car and couldn't find the issue I said hell with it and bought another 95 tbird but with 4.6.
Yesterday for poops and giggles I decided to try starting greenbird. The Tbird Gods were on my side because she started up after a little finesse the gas pedal. Granted she sounded like total crap.
Im guessing my Cats are clogged. Im just looking for someone elses opinion. Think ill fix her up and sell her since I got a 4.6 bird now

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Pull and check all the spark plugs and crank it over a few times. It is possible you will see coolant on one of the plugs, and if you do, cranking with the plugs out will relieve the coolant from the combustion chamber.

Those motors are known for head gasket issues, and since you just bought it, you might be finding out why the guy sold it.

Good luck with it.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I highly doubt the cats are clogged. Usually that happens slowly, and your complaint will be that the car has no power, or can't maintain highway speeds long before they clog to the point of the car not starting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya Ill try pulling the plugs this weekend when i got time in the garage. I wish I could post this video I took of it running so you could get a better understanding of what Im working with. Thanks for the input guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts