TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock rev limiter in my 95 t-bird is 5,500 rpms......

I took a lincoln MK8 computer and put it in my 94 crown vic to bump up the rev limiter on it, and it worked.

I was wondering if I could put a MK8 computer in my T-Bird or if I could use a mustang comp to bump the rev limiter to atleast 6,250?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
You don't want to just increase the rev limiter. It's set there because the stock torque converter isn't happy beyond 5500 RPM and will start to balloon as it begins to cavitate. Besides, a stock 95 NPI isn't going to gain anything at those RPMs anyhow, as the power curve will rapidly begin to fold after 5k.

Swapping the computer isn't the way to go with this one. Swap the torque converter out and get a SCT tune.

Pete

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not to mention that unless you are PI swapped you will gain absolutely zero by revving any higher. Take a look at the power curve on a typical NPI dyno sheet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not to derail this thread so quickly, but does anyone have a link to a collection of stock NPI dyno sheets? I've been searching for a while, but can't seem to find anything.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Here's Mike's. His is pretty typical of any stock MN12.

Pete

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't want to just increase the rev limiter. It's set there because the stock torque converter isn't happy beyond 5500 RPM and will start to balloon as it begins to cavitate. Besides, a stock 95 NPI isn't going to gain anything at those RPMs anyhow, as the power curve will rapidly begin to fold after 5k.

Swapping the computer isn't the way to go with this one. Swap the torque converter out and get a SCT tune.

Pete
The converter I understand, but as far as a tune, thats not possible as this is a dirt track car and a tune is not allowed.

The car will in the near future have PI heads, Cam, and Intake. I need to know if I can use a different "stock" (MK8, Mustang etc.....) computer?

thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
The converter I understand, but as far as a tune, thats not possible as this is a dirt track car and a tune is not allowed.
How would they know if your car was tuned or not?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The only tune you CAN do is a flash tune and there is virtually no way for them to know.

On a related note, what is the maximum safe RPM of the engine-- how many RPMS does it take to 'overrev' the engine (not counting the 5.5k torque converter)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
6500 RPM is a very safe limit for the stock rods. Flash the ECU, they'll never know and the results will be significantly better than swapping an ECU from another car.

Pete

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
The car will in the near future have PI heads, Cam, and Intake.
This will need a whole different tune than the NPI combination, the PI head requires much less timing than the NPI head.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6500 RPM is a very safe limit for the stock rods. Flash the ECU, they'll never know and the results will be significantly better than swapping an ECU from another car.

Pete
I understand that flashing the comp is the best way to go, I was just curious if I could just swap in a mustang comp.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Honestly, I am not sure if you can or not, since I never looked into it... always got a flash tune or a chip. I think there are differences with the mustang's setup, starting in 1998, but they are on the trans harness and not the ecu's. I am pretty sure that the car would run with a stang's ecu in there, but I wouldn't think that it would be optimal by any means. I think all the Ford EEC-V computers were the same, just depended on what was loaded in them and what capabilities were required, which is why the tuners need the code off the sticker to tune the car.

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts