TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i was driving down the road and it just FELL APART!!

Seriously though, I have it apart to get the passenger side head checked out and more than like milled to true again. Major pita getting that thing off cause of not knowing what all was where. i know this for sure, there is a LOT of stuff that is gonna be removed and changed when it goes back in....

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
Is that a crack line in the photo above? It sure looks like one to me.

I wouldn't put that motor back together. Get yourself an Explorer motor and do the swap now. IMO you'd be a fool not to.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not a crack line, just buildup, maybe even the aluminum flash for original casting.
I am looking into getting a set of PI heads and intake.
I will have to get a list of stuff to get for the swapover though.
I know this much, at 39 years old, its getting SERIOUSLY hard to work on these cars anymore, especially weighing in at 420 pounds.
Besides that, I dont really have the funds to get an explorer motor right now, let alone all the supporting stuff to get it to work in this car.
I am still leaning towards getting the engine out and pulling the pan and doing the rings/bearings freshen up while its out just to be safe.
The engine ran strong and surprised quite a few people.

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
Man, those are some sludged up heads... what kind of oil are you using? When I did my cam swap the topside of my heads were a pleasant golden color... nowhere near that dirty.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
those are ORIGINAL untouched heads. give me a break. I have only had the car for just over a year and it sat 80% of the time because of my being a truck driver...

I have no idea what all was NOT done to the engine,
but since I have owned it, it has SERIOUSLY improved.

All the way up to the point an electric fan siezed and it overheated.
Got a fan on it and it ran good for one trip home, but on the return trip it started leaking a
little oil, and after 2 weeks, it was on it's way home and the leak got worse and ran the oil
out to the point the check gauges light came on. I pulled it over and let it sit for a while.
Only had 1 gallon of water and 3.5 quarts of oil with me. That got me 3 more miles to a gas station and
I called my Mom who came and got me and the car with a tow dolly. It sat with me peeved at it until today.
Got it all the way down to the pictures for taking it apart. Found one broken exhaust bolt that looked like
someone tried to tap it out and broke the tap off in the manifold.

In all honesty, i am leaning towards getting the PI heads and intake, and starting a turbo setup with a single
turbo (T-70) and getting it up and running boost of around 5-8 pounds or maybe a little more, but 10 tops unless
I get better bottom end stuff. I am going to talk to a local guy about him port/polishing a set of heads for me and
what it would cost to get them done.

more to come later, cause budget is severly tight right now. unless a good explorer engine just drops in my lap,
I am doubting I will be getting one to swap over.

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
I was just asking a question, no need to jump on me like that. I'm right with you about picking up where poor maintenance left off... I've had more than my share of troubles with my cars too.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
enough with the turbo talk man...we'll believe it when we see it running....for now, you gotta seriously clean up that engine....with that much black sludge, its obvious its been severly neglected....I've never seen sludge so black in my life....looks like someone spray painted them back on purpose lol.....regardless if you don't do new heads, you'd be a fool not to at least do main/rod bearings.....who knows in what condition they are right now

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Just looks like any other engine I've opened up with 15,000 mile oil in it. :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Easy guys, if it got seriously overheated, cooked oil looks just like that.

Bob
hence why I said it had been previously neglected, whether in the hands of the current owner or the ones before

1 - 10 of 10 Posts