TCCoA Forums banner

95 Thunderbird 4.6L "No 3rd Gear"

876 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  greentbirds 
#1 ·
I was driving up a hill today and as I went up it I felt a nice clunk from the transmission. I went down the hill and up to a stop and I felt the transmission upshifting and downshifting weird. As I took off First gear was fine, Second sounded a little funny, and when it tried to shift into Third all hell broke loose with jerking and engine breaking. I shifted into second and I was able to drive it into a parking lot. I put it into reverse and I could smell burning fluids. It did not smoke. I let it cool for a bit, reset the computer, and I took it for a ride again and tried with overdrive on and off, and as soon as it hit third it ran like hell. I backed it up into another parking spot and after being in reverse and backing up a bit it started sounding funny in reverse. There is transmission fluid in it and it smells burnt. I didnt know if I should start looking for a new tranny or if it could be something like a solenoid or a spring in the transmission. I was hoping to be able to drive down to my parents house tomorrow for thanksgiving but it looks like that wont be happening. Hope this can be a easy fix. I can have this car apart and back together no problem I just need something to point the finger at. If anyone has any idea of what the exact cause of this problem is it would be appreciated greatly. Happy Thanksgiving

#2 ·
doesnt sound like an easy fix.

sounds like your tranny ate it.

#4 ·
It had minor slips here and there, mostly at low speeds only when going extremely easy on the throttle. On the highway above 75mph if it was pushed to WOT and tried to shift it would neutral 75% of the time. It just kinda popped and that was the end of it. I was only going 35 up a hill, not heavy on the pedal but not very easy on it either. I think I can brave a overhaul. Unsure if its worth it. This transmission has 10K on it since the last rebuild which was just a junk 1500 dollar stock build. Figure maybe I can play this time for cheaper. Not sure if everything would need to be replaced due to the direct clutch burning out. Im assuming it would need a complete rebuild with a flush, cleaning, bushings, direct drum, and a rebuild of the torque converter? Ill get the proper tools thru snap on like the compressor and the seal installer. Not sure where to get the tool for the intermediate clutch but maybe someone here could fill me in. Or maybe i could try dumping some sawdust into the transmission and see if it will drive and sell it local:D . Just kidding

#5 ·
It'd be way cheaper to get a used tranny from a 98+ vehicle than to rebuild it. Rebuilds usually bite the dust a few thousand miles after anyways. Or...have Darrin build you one.

Joe

#6 ·
I think im going to grab one out of a junkyard just to get me moving and rebuild the one that is currently blown up. Then I could swap it back in and if im good enough build up the other to recover some costs. I dont want to dump a lot of money into this because im going to be trying to trade the bird for a jeep 5spd so I dont have this problem anymore.

#7 ·
any chance I could pull the transmission apart and reuse everything and only replace the direct clutches to get this thing moving. that could be a lot nicer on my wallet and I could take a trip down to aamco and pick up the clutches. Might be able to get this done by monday. There was a complete rebuild done but im not sure why the direct burnt up. Im in need of a cooler but I wouldve thought there would have been more warning of this failing on the 2-3 shift.

#10 ·
Darrin I tried to pm you about a quote on a rebuilt street transmission to be put behind a stock 4.6. No racing plans in the future just something that would last. Im unsure what that would cost to be built proper. If you could shoot me a pm id appreciate it. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.