TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what's the best suggestible method for getting the upper cats unbolted on the 4.6s? I can find nothing on the internet after over a week of searching. I've been under the car but her current condition leaves me pretty limited on getting her up on anything other than a floor jack at the moment. Trying to get the cats off because I work at a scrap yard, and since I'm doing pretty much a full rebuild anyway, I might as well sell them and get this true dual exhaust I've been drooling over, since the pipes will cost the same as what I'll get for the converters at my work.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
On mine, a lot of PB-Blaster, some long extensions, and crawling under the car as high as I could get it on Jack Stands did the job.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
If that doesn't work, a dremel tool to cut the rusted bolts works well; dorman sells replacements after you hammer the remaining studs out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For the ones that break or you cut, use the more expensive drill bits labeled "Hard Metal" to drill out the studs. More details available with search function. X2 on the advice to use jack stands rather than just a floor jack.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I used a reciprocating saw when I took the exhaust off my 88 Mark. The exhaust had holes in it.

On my 94 Cougar. I had to cut the cat out to refashion it to fit better (long story) and the chain cutting tool for pipes from OReillys (free rental if you bring it back) worked great for cutting pipe in a straight line.

How much do you get for the cats? I have the two OEM's that are plugged from the Cougar.

To work on either car, I had to jack up the cars to about 18" or higher to be able to get under them to work on the cats. I would not recommend any other way than using 3 ton high lift jacks and heavy duty jack stands.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Drilled them out while the car was up on a couple very large jack stands.
I got 200$ even for all three. The usual price is like... 180$ or something.
The price varies greatly depending on what zone you are in though.
I opted for stainless steel pipes so it was like... 295$ after shipping, but still. 95$ is okay with me.

Going to get some straight pipe and see about eliminating the cats and 02 sensors while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I thought about just doing away with the cats, but figured the car stunk too much without them (older car, burning some oil now).

I don't know what the others would say, but I would keep the O2's unless you are modifying the ECM to not need the oxygen reading.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I got 200$ even for all three. The usual price is like... 180$ or something.
I am thinking I can get most of money back and my botched exhaust purchase by taking the new cats and the used cats in for recycling! Thanks for mentioning that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts