TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several for this car, so check the drivetrain section as well as suspension after reading this posting...

on the engine...

4.6L 2v motor, NON PI, bone stock setup.

Ok, the car starts right up but has a rough idle almost to stalling point. Another problem is the pathetically bad mileage, its getting like 10-12 if that sometimes. It will fly under full throttle at highway speeds. When I am accellerating from a stop sign or stoplight, it will do one of two things.. wither barely get going and almost fall on its face, or spin the tires almost uncontrollably.

Suggestions? Things to check out?

I have only had this car for a couple of weeks and am an otr truck driver so my hometime is limited and I want dependable transportation to and from my terminal which is over 100 miles from home. I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at 400+ so walking that far is WAY out of the question...

I do know these things, when it runs good, it runs HARD. I mean this thing will fly to 100 plus in no time flat... NO, I do not street race, nor do I endanger the public by flying down a major interstate with a bunch of traffic around when I do it.
I live in northeast arkansas so there are TONS of backwoods 2 lane roads to get the lead out without endangering the public. Most I would hit is a tree, cow, or a ditch. :D

Thanks to those who reply and for a little more information, I do intend to drag race the car on 1/8th mile next year, so max performance is a big thing for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No real helpful info here just wondering where about in Northeast Arkansas you live? I live in Southeast Missouri. The Arkansas state line is less than a mile from my house :p

·
Banned
754 Posts
man, I'm 6'2" 250, and I have a hell of a t ime trying to get comfortable in my seat, how do you do it ? :)

clean your MAF sensor, change air filter if it's dirty, maybe try a seafoam treatment, that's about all I can think of right now, but I'm sure someone will chime in with better solutions.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Suggestions? Things to check out?
i suggest you maintain your vehicle first....look into the general tech forum as this forum is for engine specific questions in the mn12 platform

·
5,650 Posts
Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Clean the MAF. Check that the plugs and wires are in good working order. Make sure the air and fuel filters are clean. If everything checks out, then you need to look into more serious things (i.e. fuel pressure, potentially bad MAF sensor, IAC valve, etc.).

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the information guys....

now to the specific questions for this engine...
I located an 04 exploder engine for 1250 from a nearby yard, but I would like to know what all else I will have to change/swap/move/drill for in order to get this engine into my car. Will I have to change transmissions? Torque converter bolt up? Driveshaft fit in it? I will need a laundry list if someone has a link I will be more than happy to go read up on it.

as for the guys wanting to know how 6'4" fits in the car and 400 pounds, VERY CAREFULLY!!! It is ALWAYS BUTT FIRST!! Than I shift slide and rotate around to get into the car. I parked at walmart and some brain dead retard parks a foot away from the drivers side of my car. SHAME ON YOU cause now you have rub marks all over the back side of your car from my door. plus I had to rub your stupid KIA paint off my old ford paint.... IDIOT!! They deserved that grind mark on their car for being that stupid.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well then, how about you come down while I am off next weekend and help me get the upper control arms changed along with the trans pan gasket and filter....

then maybe we can run over and make a pass or two at george rays.... see whose junk is faster than whose?

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah yeah, like I aint heard that from a SCARDY CAT before, heheheh

just kidding ya man.

I might be going home for this weekend because of no freight around here and my truck is messed up. Its gotta be put in the shop and I have been here all danged day waiting and they ahvent even moved it yet. they have til 5:00 to get it in and fixed and back out or else it wont get done til monday.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you make it far enough West I recommend taking a run down highway 5

My bird loves it, (or I do...) but not as much as 7 South out of Harrison.

Glad to see another Arkie!

I'd start with all the basic maintenance, plugs & wires would be my first guess, MAF second, Fuel filter... Is the CEL on?

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've changed my DPFE and it's not too hard if you are persistent. The trick is to remove the windshield cowl to give you more room. Be careful not to drop any screws. The tricky part is plugging the 2 hoses back onto the EGR tube and DPFE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts