TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've gone thru a ton of transmission threads and I'm still not completely sure. My 95 does do the slight shudder or more like a vibration when shifting from 3rd to 4th under light throttle sometimes. But when I accelerate under light throttle when it's in 3rd, it's more like a jerking/shudder but does not slip and the rpm's are steady. The more gas I give it when it does this, it quits doing it. It's not throwing any codes and the od light isn't flashing either so I know the engine isn't cutting out. The trans doesn't slip in any gear at all and shifts good. I had the trans serviced two months ago and was told everything looked good inside, no sludge or shavings in the pan, the fluid was not burned and was still red but the guy put dexron III back in it. It was fine up until a couple of weeks ago so I just drained it again, including the convertor and put Mercon V in it and it's still doing it. So do I need a convertor now?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
First off - I'm not a transmission guy.

Secondly - if DirtyDog or one of the other tranny gurus pipes up, ignore what I say.

BUT - I'd try a bottle of Lucas auto tranny "honey" before I worried too much.

It took care of the shudders back in 2003 on my 2000 Malibu, it helped get my wife's 1991 Cougar back on the road after sitting for over a year, and it sure can't hurt much.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
There's your problem. DO NOT PUT DEXTRON III in these transmissions.

He should have used Mercon V to begin with. I'm glad to see you caught this and made the switch.

Sounds like Torque converter shudder - a common problem in these cars. Yea, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the Torque converter. The accumulators and the valve body in the 95 are an older design that have problems of their own. I'd recommend replacing the accumulators, springs and upgrading the valve body as well as the Torque converter. These changes will breath new life into these old transmissions.

Contact any of these members for ready to go kits.

Alan at www.Dirtydogperformance.com

RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com - My perferred supplier!

Darrin at http://bc-automotive.com

Lonnie at www.blueovalchips.com

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about doing all that but I'm trying to decide if I want to spend that much money on a trans with 170,000 miles on it or go ahead and get a new trans since I will be upgrading the motor eventually. Or, get a used one from a 96/97 tbird for $350. :confused:

Mike

There's your problem. DO NOT PUT DEXTRON III in these transmissions.

He should have used Mercon V to begin with. I'm glad to see you caught this and made the switch.

Sounds like Torque converter shudder - a common problem in these cars. Yea, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the Torque converter. The accumulators and the valve body in the 95 are an older design that have problems of their own. I'd recommend replacing the accumulators, springs and upgrading the valve body as well as the Torque converter. These changes will breath new life into these old transmissions.

Contact any of these members for ready to go kits.

Alan at www.Dirtydogperformance.com

RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com - My perferred supplier!

Darrin at http://bc-automotive.com

Lonnie at www.blueovalchips.com

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a 96 tbird trans with 50,000 miles on it for $350. I'm thinking of going with that for now for cost. The 96/97 trans have the upgraded valve body and accumulators right? Also, if I go with the 96 then do I just swap the solenoids inside the trans and that's it or do I have to repin the harness? I'm trying to explore all my options.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
A 97 transmission should have the updated accumulators in it. A 96 can be hit or miss.

But accumulators are not that expensive in all honesty. I would be more concerned about getting the good "F7" transmission case and a better valve body.

Darrin

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 97 transmission should have the updated accumulators in it. A 96 can be hit or miss.

But accumulators are not that expensive in all honesty. I would be more concerned about getting the good "F7" transmission case and a better valve body.

Darrin
So is the 96 the better valve body? Also, would 96 and 97 be the same or would a 97 be better? I can also get a 97 with 34,000 miles on it for $500 and it's a lot closer to me.

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is a 97 the "F7" case and better valve body?

Mike

Darrin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts