TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 V8 4.6L Tbird and when im stoped and i punch it a bunch of white smoke comes out someone said its water getting into the oil or something like that but can someone please tell me what it is and how to fix it....thanks

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
might be a headgasket, or the infamous bad valve seal problem.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Verify that it's white smoke, rather than bluish/bluish-white.

White would indicate a possible head gasket problem, whereas bluish/bluish-white would indicate oil burning, most likely due to faulty valve stem seals.

from the 1994 PC/ED manual:

·
Registered
323 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
95% of the time... valve seals. 94/95 had terrible valve seals.... a fart in a windstorm comaprison.... Just keep 'er oiled up and she'll last.
agreed that is my prob

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Generally, I think it's not a big problem. Specifically, if you have a constant stream of smoke, it should be addressed. It's different for everyone. With my car, the oil consumption smoke isn't noticable, unless, say, I've been at a 5 minute red light, so, I don't worry about it. I know the problem exists, and I keep an eye on the oil level regularly.

Replacing the valve stem seals may be something I choose to tackle this summer...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine does that when it's cold, basically lets out huge clouds of white vapor -- but so do all other cars, so I'll just stick to my "it's just the hot exhaust causing condensation" mantra.

*living in abject terror of having to fix even more on his 'bird*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts